Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Formatting of exported annotations

I've read a few books and sent their individual annotations to Evernote. In Evernote, I do a pass over the highlighted text and further refine it by making relevant parts bold, and a third pass I underline. This enables me to do a quick fly over later and hone in on the areas I need without reading all the text again.
Marvin adds with the text; the color of the highlight, section in bold, and lines which are extraneous info to each highlight (of which I already have hundreds from just a few books). It may seem like a minor annoyance, but I find extra lines and bold text Marvin adds to detract from the work I do to further use the information. Formatting further with a text editor is too much work. Is there a way to only send the text that was highlighted and not the extra information? I love Marvin, but if that's not possible that's a serious buzkill..

the text that was highlighted here in a sentence or a paragraph

(July 12 2016 1:46 PM)
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
brokeass
brokeass began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
+1

Customisation of annotation exports would be good!
brokeass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@bounce Which method are you using to send annotations to Evernote. If you send an individual annotation/journal entry via the menu when you slide to the left, Marvin will only send the text.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

@kguil that way works as you describe, what I should have been clearer about was I'm trying to send all annotations (highlights) from a book after reading it. Sending them individually causes me to lose my flow and sending them in bulk (where it adds extra text, line breaks, date) makes it cumbersome to read/research later. Hope that makes sense? Anything chance of exporting only text when doing things in bulk?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
bounce
Zealot

Should also add a bulk send "to" Evernote would be nice. Right now I'm swiping and sending .html to e-mail then copy/pasting that into Evernote.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

The formatting of exported annotations has, ever since Marvin's birth 5 years ago, been one of Marvin's gravest flaws and weaknesses.

But at the same time, it's also been one of Marvin's strengths – yep, that's because Marvin's competition is even far more incompetent than Marvin is, in terms of annotations export.

Basically, what we have in Marvin today, and what we've always had in Marvin, in terms of annotations export, is bare-bones, glitchy functionality. Marvin annotations, when exported, are never ready for "production use", so to speak. During annotations export, Marvin mangles the formatting of the highlighted passages being exported (because everything from the text source gets converted into plain-text, paragraph breaks get deleted, and superfluous line-breaks get inserted [!]), and Marvin also mangles the formatting of user annotations being exported (all line breaks get deleted).

All the corruption that occurs during the export of Marvin annotations, must then be repaired manually on the desktop computer, causing lots of frustration, time delay and much productivity loss for the Marvin user. But what can you do? After all, all the Marvin competitors are even worse, in terms of annotations export. That's the sorry state of e-book software world-wide, anno 2016.

We can only hope Marvin will improve its annotations export capabilities one day. It's been frequently requested over the years, so one can only hope. Naturally, the customization options Bounce mentions would be highly desirable – such as the option to toggle the insertion of time-stamps (and other components of the exported file) on or off on an on-demand basis.

Last edited by Faterson; 07-29-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote