Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 06:26 AM   #1
sios00
Enthusiast
sios00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How to set up Progress Sync? Unable to register

How do I set up Progress Sync? I want to sync reading progress with my Android device.

According to https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Progress-sync , you're supposed to 'create an account on one device by using the plugin's "Register/Login" menu.'.

But I am unable to find the Register/Login menu. Can anyone tell me where it is? I have looked at http://koreader.rocks/koreader-user-guide.pdf and there's no mention of where the register or login menu is.

Thanks!
sios00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:37 AM   #2
sios00
Enthusiast

Nvm, I have figured out that it needs to be set up when a book is already open.

I have another question:

How do I get the book on my Kobo Libra 2 to sync to my Android device if it is in kepub format on my Kobo? How does Progress Sync recognise identical books? The book would probably be in epub (not kepub) format on my Android device. Is there any way to get the kepub and epub to sync with each other?
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 07:06 AM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sios00 View Post
Nvm, I have figured out that it needs to be set up when a book is already open.

I have another question:

How do I get the book on my Kobo Libra 2 to sync to my Android device if it is in kepub format on my Kobo? How does Progress Sync recognise identical books? The book would probably be in epub (not kepub) format on my Android device. Is there any way to get the kepub and epub to sync with each other?

Kepubs are indeed "kepub.epub", so they're just epubs and can be used on any device the program supports (if it already works on your kobo it should work on android too)

Progress sync does a md5 hash of each file and pushes/pulls sync data based on that number.

If you edit the book or change what's inside it the md5 hash won't match and the sync server will report two different positions, one for the original book and another for the edited one.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:08 AM   #4
sios00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Kepubs are indeed "kepub.epub", so they're just epubs and can be used on any device the program supports (if it already works on your kobo it should work on android too)

Progress sync does a md5 hash of each file and pushes/pulls sync data based on that number.

If you edit the book or change what's inside it the md5 hash won't match and the sync server will report two different positions, one for the original book and another for the edited one.
So that means I have to transfer the same exact .kepub.epub file to my Android device? Because I use Calibre's Send to Device function to send the kepub to my Kobo. I also have Kobo Utilities plugin installed in Calibre to ensure that the file gets sent as a Kepub.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:09 AM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
IIRC calibre viewer, by default, stores its own position within the document. Thus causing a new hash each time the book is opened by it.

Anyhow it is possible to disable that behaviour and recommended if you use both programs and want to use position syncing in KO
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
sios00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
IIRC calibre viewer, by default, stores its own position within the document. Thus causing a new hash each time the book is opened by it.

Anyhow it is possible to disable that behaviour and recommended if you use both programs and want to use position syncing in KO
I actually don't use Calibre to read much, it's just for storage and management, and maybe editing the metadata.

I would only like to sync the reading progress between my Kobo and my Android phone. Do you know the best way to do that? Thank you!
Old 05-26-2023, 09:09 AM   #7
cortejador
cortejador began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
If it's help, you can setup the Progress sync plugin matching method behavior to filename matching (Document matching method menu item in settings).
cortejador is offline   Reply With Quote