Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #1
gabryele
Connoisseur
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Progress bar: this unknown. (chapter progress)

How this progress bar does his work?
why in my books it always show the progress of book and not the chapter?
Is there a specific format or some tricks to make it works for chapter progress?
gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The progress bar has only one setting on or off.

The header and footer can display chapter and book progress respectively in a few ways but these will be text based.

All of these options are found in the second page of the reading settings.

Currently there is no way to make the progress bar show chapter progress.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
gabryele
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Currently there is no way to make the progress bar show chapter progress.
but the kobo's instructions say otherwise: the progress bar indicates the chapter, but it does not apply to all books.
For incompatible books, the entire book progress is indicated.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabryele View Post
but the kobo's instructions say otherwise: the progress bar indicates the chapter, but it does not apply to all books.
For incompatible books, the entire book progress is indicated.
The option for the progress bar is labeled:

Code:
Show book progress bar:
That explicitly states the progress bar is for the book, not the chapter.

Under that, they have the text:

Quote:
Note: some books will not be able to display chapter progress. Book progress will be used instead.
That isn't quite so clear, and it hasn't been updated with the recent changes. But, there is nothing that implies it is talking about the progress bar. It has always been, "if the book can't show chapter progress, full book progress will be shown instead.".

Are you seeing something elsewhere?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #5
gabryele
Connoisseur

yes, in the changelog inside kobo (after first update) I read that:
progress bar in some books is for chapter, in books not compatible is for entire book.

maybe it was anerror... I don't know... but I don't even know how to return that link to the firmware news.
maybe a downgrade and then re-update?

Last edited by gabryele; 10-10-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, in the changelog inside kobo (after first update) I read that:
progress bar in some books is for chapter, in books not compatible is for entire book.

maybe it was anerror... I don't know... but I don't even know how to return that link to the firmware news.
maybe a downgrade and then re-update?
Do you mean the release notes? If so, they are at http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/121. The mention of the progress bar is:

Quote:
● Progress bar: Understand where you are in your book at a glance, with a progress bar at the bottom of each page.
And, in case you mean the navigation bar, that is mentioned as:

Quote:
● Enhanced eBook scrubber: Updated to represent the entire book instead of just one chapter. Flip back and forth without fear of losing your spot. Your previous page is noted for easy access.
These are clearly referring to the full book.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
gabryele
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you mean the release notes? If so, they are at http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/121.
not this.

I mean that appears in the kobo, when it is updated and tells you what's new.

as soon as I have time I try to downgrade and go back to the new firmware to see if that message reappears.

Quote:
Enhanced eBook scrubber: Updated to represent the entire book instead of just one chapter. Flip back and forth without fear of losing your spot. Your previous page is noted for easy access.
not this.
I remember it was referring to compatible books, as written previously.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
not this.

I mean that appears in the kobo, when it is updated and tells you what's new.

as soon as I have time I try to downgrade and go back to the new firmware to see if that message reappears.

not this.
I remember it was referring to compatible books, as written previously.
The link I provided is the link the device uses to get the release notes. That is what you would have seen when the firmware was updated.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
gabryele
Connoisseur

if I remember correctly, it was not a list of changes but a semi tutorial
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tested by resetting my spare H2O

The progress bar is not mentioned in the book navigation tutorial which I believe is the one where it would be if it was anywhere other than the notes David linked to
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
if I remember correctly, it was not a list of changes but a semi tutorial
Displayed the first time you opened a book? In that case, it is in the help - "Reading a book".
Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
gabryele
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Displayed the first time you opened a book? In that case, it is in the help - "Reading a book".
similar, but not that, there were the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I just tested by resetting my spare H2O

The progress bar is not mentioned in the book navigation tutorial
I don't find in the last firmware version (4.18.13737), maybe a misprint of the previous version.
All is possible.

I keep it disabled and I don't pose myself the problem. maybe the best solution.
I would have liked to have it for the chapter, so I could remove the other one, which by the way I'd like to have at the bottom, but this is another story.

however I assure you that I did not invent it, I read that the bar was for chapter progress and for books not compatible for general progress.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's easy to confuse the terminology. The bar that pops up when you open the controls, used to be called the "Navigation Bar" by Kobo, (now they call it the scrubber?). There was no distinct progress bar then, so it would be easy to think of it or see it referred to as Progress Bar. It used to have an option to show progress by Chapter or by Book (the same setting affected the Navigation bar as well as teh page # displayed.) That option is no longer available.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
gabryele
Connoisseur

finally I found it!
In Settings > Reading settings.
It is under the check/uncheck box for progress bar entirely.

It says:

For some books, it is not possible to indicate the progression of reading chapters. In its place will be used the reading progression of the book.

So this means that the default progression should be for the chapter.
But I can't find a compatible book.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard

That's the text David was talking about in post 4 in this thread.

It predates the introduction of the progress bar, hasn't been updated in a long time. Its placement is odd, but it has nothing to do with the progress bar.