Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Signing on...

Afternoon all,

I'm new to the forum and thought I should wave to everyone ( ) and say hello.

Hello.

I've just taken delivery of a Sony Reader (505) and I'm charging it up now, though I'm not sure how long I can wait before I really need to have a read.
First impressions of the reader are good, small and nicely made with an excellent display. First impressions of Waterstones' online ordering process however is not so good but more of that later.

My main reading interests are SciFi and Fantasy novels, with a healthy smattering of reference material and the occasional "classic". I expect my reading to increase in the near future.

Tra for now.
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Welcome to Mobile Read..Enjoy your Reader and tell us what you think of IT!~!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Afternoon all,

I'm new to the forum and thought I should wave to everyone ( ) and say hello.

Hello.

I've just taken delivery of a Sony Reader (505) and I'm charging it up now, though I'm not sure how long I can wait before I really need to have a read.
First impressions of the reader are good, small and nicely made with an excellent display. First impressions of Waterstones' online ordering process however is not so good but more of that later.

My main reading interests are SciFi and Fantasy novels, with a healthy smattering of reference material and the occasional "classic". I expect my reading to increase in the near future.

Tra for now.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
jvhuiz
jvhuiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
hi everyone,

i'm raymond from singapore. just received my prs-505 from b&h.
have downloaded most of my pdf into the ebook. most documents worked out ok, but i have had some pdf documents that refused to change it's font size!! (anyone can help?)

i've also noticed that if you increase the text size, some of the words get split-up.??
also read in the forum, you've got a bunch of very smart people here, that came up with programs that can change the font size, images and stuff. really great. but could someone please walk me through the install process. i have close to zero programming experience.

sorry for all these questions as i am anxious to have it working.

thanking all of you in advance.

ray.

ps can someone tell me how to brighten the screen?
jvhuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi WigglePig and welcome to the Forum. I got a Sony back in January and the couple of hours it took to charge were the longest I can remember.

Anyway, be sure and let us know how you like yours once you get some time with it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jvhuiz and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well then, I've been using my new Reader since last Friday evening and I have to say I'm smitten.

The display is very good, just the right contrast. I don't find the black/white flash or the delay as it refreshes the page to be particularly distracting, I just press the "next page" key a second or so before I get to the end of the page and the read is more-or-less seamless.
The device size is about right, although I would have preferred it if there was less non-screen area below the display itself and possibly it could do with being a touch thicker for my tastes but these are very minor issues really.
The keys are okay, though I do find it distracting that the left-hand page-turn keys (the ones on the circular pad) are a bit vague and the circular key seems to be a shade lower on the "next page" side than on the "last page" side. These do seem to be improving as I use it more so maybe that will go away.
The software, on the other hand, I find quite irritating. The Sony software is remarkably slow at spotting the Reader has been plugged in and I tend to use a separate SD card reader to transfer files for use on the device. Calibre seems like a much quicker and more useable application, plus it doesn't look anywhere near a daft as the Sony software. One huge omission from the Sony software is the ability to populate a library on the PC and to sync it up all in one go, as iTunes does.
Reading PDFs on the Reader is a bit hit-and-miss, being very dependant on just how the PDF has been formatted; a particular problem is when they have large margins, quite common on documents formatted for printing.

In all I am very very pleased with my Reader and I plan to make lots of use of it. My "other half" has already asked if Mills & Boon books are available...I might buy her one of the Gen3 ones from WHSmiths if they are.

Tra

WigglyPiggly.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome WigglePig. Since you say you like SF and Fantasy, be sure to check out Baen Books online site at http://www.baen.com/. There are more than 50 free books which you can download and lots more for sale. You'll find plenty to read over there.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey wiggle pig :

.. - .----. ... / .- .-.. .-.. / .--. .- .-. - / --- ..-. / - .... . / ..- -. ..- - - . .-. .- -... .-.. . / ... .. .-.. .-.. .. -. . ... ... .-.-.- / .--- --- .. -. / .- -.. --- .-. .- -... .-.. . / -- .- -.. -. . ... ... .-.-.- / .-. . ... .. ... - / .. ... / ..-. ..- - .. .-.. . .-.-.- / .-- .... .- - / .. ... / --.- / -.-. --- -.. . / ..--..
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20

.- .... / ... - --- .--. / .. / ... . . / ... - --- .--. / .. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / ... . . / .-- .... .- - / .. ... / .-- .... .- - / .- -. -.. / -- .- -.-- -... . / .--- --- .. -. / ... - --- .--. / --.- / -.-. --- -.. . ... / .- .-. . / .- / -.- .. -. -.. / --- ..-. / .-. .- -.. .. --- / ... .... --- .-. - .... .- -. -.. / ..- ... . -.. / - --- / -- .- -.- . / -- --- .-. ... . / - .-. .- ..-. ..-. .. -.-. / ... .... --- .-. - . .-. / ... - --- .--. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .--. --- ... - / .-.. .. -. -.- / ... - --- .--. /
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
This proves that resistance to silliness and adorable madness is defintely futile. Less than one week of exposure and the subject is displaying signs of acute assimilation.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
This proves that resistance to silliness and adorable madness is defintely futile. Less than one week of exposure and the subject is displaying signs of acute assimilation.

Dreamer
I thought it was more A Sim acutelation.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.. / -.. --- / -... . .-.. .. . ...- . / - .... .- - / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . / .--. --- ... - .. -. --. / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -.-- --- ..- / .... .- ...- . / .- .-.. .-. . .- -.. -.-- / .--- --- .. -. . -.. --..-- / .-- .... . - .... . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. -.- . / .. - / --- .-. / -. --- - / ... - --- .--. / .-. . ... .. ... - .- -. -.-. . / .. ... / ..-. ..- - .. .-.. . / ... - --- .--. / .--- --- .. -. / .- -.. --- .-. .- -... .-.. . / -- .- -.. -. . ... ... / ... - --- .--. / - .... . / -... .-.. ..- . / --- -. . / -. . -..- - / - --- / - .... . / ..-. .. ... .... / .. ... / .. -. / -.-. .... .- .-. --. . / ... - --- .--. / - .... .. ... / -- .- -.-- / -... . -.-. --- -- . / -.-. .-.. . .- .-. / - --- / -.-- --- ..- / --- -. . / -.. .- -.-- / ... - --- .--. / .. ..-. / .. - / -.. --- . ... --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / -... . / ...- . .-. -.-- / .- ..-. .-. .- .. -.. / ... - --- .--. / - .... .- -. -.- ... / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . / . -..- .--. .-.. .- -. .- - .. --- -. / --- ..-. / --.- / -.-. --- -.. . / ... - --- .--.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
--.- .-. -- ?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
--.- .-. -- ?
... --- -- . --- -. . / .. ... / .--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.-- / -... . .. -. --. / .. -. - . .-. ..-. . .-. . -.. / .-- .. - .... --..-- / -.-- . ... / ... - --- .--. / ..- -. .-.. . ... ... / .. - / .. ... / .--- ..- ... - / - .... . / -. --- .-. -- .- .-.. / .--. .- .-. .- -. --- .. .- / --- ..-. / - .... . / ..- -. .. ...- . .-. ... . / ... - --- .--. / .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. / .--. .- .-. .- -. --- .. .- / -.. --- . ... / -. --- - / . -..- -.-. .-.. ..- -.. . / .. -. - . .-. ..-. . .-. . -. -.-. . / ... - --- .--.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
STOP! Or take it to the foreign language section.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer, books