Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
patricorgi
patricorgi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 2018
Question Calibre content server web interface not responding on iOS/iPadOS Safari browser

Hi all,

Calibre has been a fantastic tool for me to read and organize my comic books.

My reading workflow:
I import comic books into my calibre library on my Mac and they will be automatically converted to cbz files. Then I start the content server so that I can use my iPad to view them from the iPadOS Safari browser via the 192.168.1.XXX:8080 link (under the same local network of course).

This reading experience had been perfect for me to catch up with my favorite comic series. However, this web interface suddenly became totally irresponsive long time ago (not quite remember when it happened but at least several months ago). I can still view the library contents and download books on the iPadOS browser. But the book viewer web interface is totally irresponsive as I can't not go to the next page after opening any book.

I've tried to reinstall calibre, use a different mobile device, such as an iPhone, and change to Google Chrome browser but none of them could solve the problem. However, if I try the "Test server" in calibre on my Mac. It opens http://127.0.0.1:8080 and everything seems fine from the Mac's Safari browser (I can navigate between pages). In sum, the web interface seems to work only on my Mac but not on any of my mobile device.

Below is my device information. I also created a dummy calibre library containing a calibre manual (PDF file) just to get some screenshots about how I setup the server on my Mac. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated!

Device: iPad Pro 11 inch (2018)
OS Version: iPadOS 14.3 (18C65)
Screenshots: See attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. dummy library.png
Views:	348
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	184168   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. start server.png
Views:	339
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	184169   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. download this book from ipad safari.PNG
Views:	323
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	184170   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. ipad safari loading book.PNG
Views:	349
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	184171   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. irresponsive reading interface.PNG
Views:	335
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	184172  

Last edited by patricorgi; 12-21-2020 at 01:47 PM.
patricorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's quite possible that an iOS update broke the reader interface, as I dont currently have a functioning iOS device, its hard for me to test. I do test it in the device emulation mode of the desktop browser developer tools, but it works fine there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I think I figured out the issue, its a change caused by the addition of RTL support in calibre 5 on iOS.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Should be fixed in the next release.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
patricorgi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Should be fixed in the next release.
Fantastic! I'm looking forward to it.
Advert
Old 12-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
patricorgi

This bug has been fixed in calibre 5.8.1. Thanks!!