Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
How much does the power cover weigh compared to the sleep cover??

I've been using an Aura One since 2017 and it is still going strong. I was thinking, however, of upgrading to a Sage. After reading the reviews, one of my concerns is with the Sage's short battery life. It seems like the power cover would solve that issue. I do carry my Aura One around quite often so I can read in waiting rooms and so forth and have a light weight aftermarket sleep cover. Compared to the Kobo sleep cover or, I presume, aftermarket sleep covers to come, would the Sage with a power cover be inconveniently heavy?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I'm not sure anyone received the power cover yet.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Best Buy Canada has the weight at 161 grams so a touch under half the weight of the Sage itself.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/15739861

Take this with a grain of salt as the cover isn’t available to order and no site I found other than Best Buy lists the weight. And it’s the same weight they list for the sleep cover. So clearly they’ve almost certainly mixed up something here.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Will be extremely heavy device with Sage (already the most heavy e-reader in its format) + Power Cover. I hope you all do work out at the gym!
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
Will be extremely heavy device with Sage (already the most heavy e-reader in its format) + Power Cover. I hope you all do work out at the gym!
I don't intend to use the power cover while actually reading. Only for keeping the device in while not reading.

Actually the Sage is not the heaviest ereader among 7-8'' devices. The Nook Glowlight Plus from 2019 (7.8'') is heavier - 279g.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
My likebook P78 weighs 267grams. I do not mind the weight.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #7
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
No need to work out at the gym. This is the work out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't intend to use the power cover while actually reading. Only for keeping the device in while not reading.

Actually the Sage is not the heaviest ereader among 7-8'' devices. The Nook Glowlight Plus from 2019 (7.8'') is heavier - 279g.
Same here. Just to protect and charge it, but will remove it from the cover when I read.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean I used to use a KA1, different size but it weighed more than the Sage. Not as much as a Sage and a cover though I’d guess a KA1 plus cover would also weigh more.

I guess people forget many people have owned heavier devices with smaller displays
Old 11-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I mean I used to use a KA1, different size but it weighed more than the Sage. Not as much as a Sage and a cover though I’d guess a KA1 plus cover would also weigh more.

I guess people forget many people have owned heavier devices with smaller displays

The KA1 (Kobo Aura One / 8GB) weighs 229.631 g. [Sans cover.]

The Kobo Sage weighs 240 g. [Sans cover.]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The KA1 (Kobo Aura One / 8GB) weighs 229.631 g. [Sans cover.]

The Kobo Sage weighs 240 g. [Sans cover.]
I’m using the wiki as a source which puts the KA1 at 252g vs the Sage at 240g. The weight of the KA1 there makes sense given that the H2O was 233 and the KA1 added an inch to the screen. But it’s always possible someone got the Wikipedia info wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_eReader
Old 11-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I’m using the wiki as a source which puts the KA1 at 252g vs the Sage at 240g. The weight of the KA1 there makes sense given that the H2O was 233 and the KA1 added an inch to the screen. But it’s always possible someone got the Wikipedia info wrong.

I think someone accidentally had a finger or two on the scales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	witch fingers.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	190138  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #12
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can still access an archived version of the official product page for the Aura One through the Wayback-Machine:

-> https://web.archive.org/web/20180917...ign=Aura%20ONE

According to Kobo, the Aura One weighs 230g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 19-28-16 Kobo Aura ONE.png
Views:	106
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	190141  
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:

I still have the KA1 and Dr. Drib is right -- it's tips the scale right at 229 grams on my home kitchen scale. The Sage is heavier.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #14
davej63
davej63 began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, Aura One & Sage, Nook and Glow
I have the Aura One - used it exclusively till I got the Sage - Sage is a little heavier subjectively, more so the sleep cover. On my kitchen scale with the Kobo sleep cover the A1 is 370g and 231g without the cover, while the Sage with the sleep cover is 399g and 240g without.

I like the new Sage form factor and prefer the buttons so for me its okay. I also prefer using the sleep cover to shut it off vs. the switch so the weights not an issue.
davej63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej63 View Post
I have the Aura One - used it exclusively till I got the Sage - Sage is a little heavier subjectively, more so the sleep cover. On my kitchen scale with the Kobo sleep cover the A1 is 370g and 231g without the cover, while the Sage with the sleep cover is 399g and 240g without.

I like the new Sage form factor and prefer the buttons so for me its okay. I also prefer using the sleep cover to shut it off vs. the switch so the weights not an issue.
If you want the buttons and formfactor on Sage, but a device which is ligther with the sleep cover on, I would strongly suggest a Forma instead. 327g with cover and 197g without.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote