Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Your opinion about a built-in KOreader

I think KOReader is a wonderful software, that allows you to customize everythink, leading to the top the reading experience. It's really close to what a demanding user may desire!

Will it be profitable for the users and Kobo-Rakuten the release of a firmware version with bult-in KOReader as a secondary document viewer?

Thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I think KOReader is a wonderful software, that allows you to customize everythink, leading to the top the reading experience. It's really close to what a demanding user may desire!

Will it be profitable for the users and Kobo-Rakuten the release of a firmware version with bult-in KOReader as a secondary document viewer?

Thanks
It would not be secondary as there are two different programs for viewing ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I've just switched a week ago and wow, I won't come back to regular reader. Is there a way to boot it up directly?
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Mercador: Not OOB.

My stance on this, is: don't. On some devices, Nickel itself will do a few bits of low-level hardware initialization that we don't want to skip, and that would be extremely annoying to keep track of properly.

But, it's technically feasible, if you know what you're doing (c.f., Plato's standalone patch for inspiration.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Ok merci, I'll let them that way, it's just one click anyway. I noticed that KOReader is less battery intensive than the regular reader... I wonder if it's because I use nightmode (I would have thought it would be more energy hungry.
Advert
Old 01-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I really doubt it would be profitable for Kobo to do this. Firstly, it would cost money for them to do. As good as you obviously think KOReader is, they would need to spend money to integrate it into their system. Then they need to train their staff to support it. And handle all the confused calls about having multiple ereader applications on the device. (For an example, look at the questions we see here about epub and kepub.)

And, why should they? What would the actual advantage be for them? Anyone that wants to run KOReader can. Anyone who doesn't think the current reading experience is good enough can search for alternatives. They will find KOReader, or a different device and decide whether it will help improve things. Or they will make suggestions to Kobo for improvements. Overall, I think it would only lead to confusion and, for Kobo, higher support costs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
Mercador
I'm not a number!

I could see them look for KOReader features and bring them in the default reader (in an advanced mode that is). For 90% of the readers, the default reader is quite ok for their needs, we're a minority here on this board, not the broad majority of users.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I really doubt it would be profitable for Kobo to do this. Firstly, it would cost money for them to do. As good as you obviously think KOReader is, they would need to spend money to integrate it into their system. Then they need to train their staff to support it. And handle all the confused calls about having multiple ereader applications on the device. (For an example, look at the questions we see here about epub and kepub.)

And, why should they? What would the actual advantage be for them? Anyone that wants to run KOReader can. Anyone who doesn't think the current reading experience is good enough can search for alternatives. They will find KOReader, or a different device and decide whether it will help improve things. Or they will make suggestions to Kobo for improvements. Overall, I think it would only lead to confusion and, for Kobo, higher support costs.

Mine is a numerical and economic thinking.

I partially agree with you. But

- put it in as beta feature is a less complex matter and less performance bounding. Moreover it can be confortably achieved through a firmwares' path.

- Not anyone can install KOReader. Often an user that wants a new ereader, buys the best on the maket. I'm sure that with KOReader, Kobo can give the best ereading experience. Presently no ereader comes with KOReader installed.

- then, if kobo becomes the best ereader on the market, it will be the most bought.

Last edited by Owl_; 01-09-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not anyone can install KOReader. Often an user that wants a new ereader, buys the best on the maket. I'm sure that with KOReader, Kobo can give the best ereading experience. Presently no ereader comes with KOReader installed.

- then, if kobo becomes the best ereader on the market, it will be the most bought.
I've used KOReader and Plato on a Kobo ereader. While they handle PDF files that are not sized for the Kobo's screen better, I found no advantage to using either when reading epub files and quite a few disadvantages since I've found many books with moderately complex CSS are not properly handled by either KOReader or Plato. Image placement and media queries are examples. Try a chapter number with a background image for chuckles. Don't even think about trying to open a FLO epub3 file.

Yes, KOReader or Plato will read many file formats that Nickel will not handle. OTOH, that's what calibre is for. Convert to epub, clean up the file and send to my Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
KOReader, as is, serves no purpose for Kobo/Rakuten. Most of the magic of the program are a bunch of lua scripts that make most things configurable (and almost everything hackable).

The libs which KOReader uses could add value to Nickel, specially MuPDF and djvulibre, but their licenses are incompatible with keeping Nickel closed source. MuPDF itself has commercial licenses available for purchases, but Kobo made a pretty good job making PDF rendering a mess, so their users won't demand any significative change on that field.

So, nope, not possible without huge costs for the company, no benefit. If they wanted a really customizable epub renderer they could built one on top of qtwebkit, but they are fine following a subset of the Epub3 specs as anybody else, and leaving customization to desktop programs like Sigil.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote