Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Goodreads placing sponsored ads within Recent Updates feed

I just went to Goodreads and as I was going through the Recent Updates feed, I noticed that an update for a "Sponsored Book" was right in the middle of the update. It looked like an update until I looked more closely at it. It surprised me for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	461
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	137503  
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Yuck. I really like Goodreads, but that is intrusive.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I came across this on GR's website:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...ook-placements
Old 04-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You've been lucky (not): you're in the test group.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You've been lucky (not): you're in the test group.
I know. I wonder how I was chosen. I was probably chosen randomly.
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm glad I deleted my GR account ages ago when Amazon bought them.
I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened earlier.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It'll happen. Nothing is free. They've had sponsored book ads on the side forever. Not sure why they think putting them in the feed is better. I can see that making some people give up on the service.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
All "real" posts in my timeline start with the name of the friend it came from. Makes the promotional stuff pretty easy to ignore IMO. *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yeah.. I'm a "shrug" too. For me, Goodreads is a "free" tool to help me keep a record of the books I've read and my subjective ratings. Don't use it for much else.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I just went to Goodreads and as I was going through the Recent Updates feed, I noticed that an update for a "Sponsored Book" was right in the middle of the update. It looked like an update until I looked more closely at it. It surprised me for sure.
The solution is very simple.
Just rate the book and give it one star.
If enough of us do that they will very quickly drop the practice.

EDIT: I just logged into my GoodReads acount and rated a sponsored book one star, with an explanation that it was rammed down my throat.
I encourage you to do the same.

Last edited by kacir; 04-24-2015 at 03:21 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I just logged into my GoodReads acount and rated a sponsored book one star, with an explanation that it was rammed down my throat.
I encourage you to do the same.
Why beat up the author? Goodreads is a commercial site. You've known that for awhile now. If you don't like it, just leave. They are entitled to make money by ad placement. I mean really? How tough is it to just scroll by it?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru

I went to my feed today and there were no sponsored posts. I left feedback telling GR that I wasn't interested in any of the books in those posts (I genuinely wasn't). I don't mind advertising but I don't like any ads that are mixed in with real post or results and made to look as close to real posts as possible. I want to clearly know I'm seeing an ad. Putting ads in the feed and making them look like updates blurs the line too much for me.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Why beat up the author? Goodreads is a commercial site. You've known that for awhile now. If you don't like it, just leave. They are entitled to make money by ad placement. I mean really? How tough is it to just scroll by it?
NO. If an author chooses to try to make money with *intrusive* advertising, they deserve to be "beat up". If enough authors realize that this is a BAD THING, then the advertising in the feed will go away.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Advertising in feeds is not going to go away regardless of what you do. It's going to happen at Goodreads eventually. The "testing" is to determine how much, not if. I suggest either getting used to the idea or closing your acount there.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Advertising in feeds is not going to go away regardless of what you do. It's going to happen at Goodreads eventually. The "testing" is to determine how much, not if. I suggest either getting used to the idea or closing your acount there.
I use the Goodreads recommendations a lot--I look at the ads on the sidebar, and have purchased books because of them. Putting ads directly into the feed is wrong, however, and the only way to make it stop is to make the authors not want to place ads there.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote