Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Ebook Reader size comparison inside

Hi folks,

I've made a little size comparison of various size factors of ebook readers because I couldn't visualize myself the different screen sizes. I've scaled the images as accurate as I could do it based on the size of the readers from the Wiki. I also checked the screen sizes and they all are nearly correct. Then I aligned the readers based on the bottoms of their screens.

If you want to add new readers or change something in this picture, you can download the original XCF-File (open with Gimp) from here. The file is compressed with 7-Zip and has 28 MB. 100 pixel in the image equal 1 cm in real life.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook_reader_size_comparison.jpg
Views:	2789
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	45411  
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Nice
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm so stupid. I forgot to remove the transparency in some layers. And I have already wondered why the image looks so washed out.

So here is the right image. If you download the original XCF-File remember to check the transparency of every layer. Could a mod maybe delete the first file?

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ebook_reader_size_comparison.jpg
Views:	2851
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	45413  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
scheichxodox
Zealot

And here are some additional one-on-one size comparisons. I used transparency and the screens of the readers are aligned at the right corner at the bottom.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t-mobile-pulse_cybook-opus.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	45414   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook-opus_sony-prs505.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	45415   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-prs505_irex-iliad.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	45416   Click image for larger version

Name:	irex-iliad_asus-drs-950.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	45417   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus-drs-950_pocketbook-901.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	45418   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocketbook-901_que-reader.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	45419   Click image for larger version

Name:	que-reader_skiff-reader.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	45420  
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
scheichxodox
Zealot

And because I find the 9"- and 9.7"-models pricely attractive, here are four more comparison pictures.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cybook-opus_asus-drs-950.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	45427   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-prs505_asus-drs-950.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	45428   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook-opus_pocketbook-901.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	45429   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-prs505_pocketbook-901.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	45430  
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I want the DR-950 now!!! I can't wait anymore. All these review drive me crazy.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
scheichxodox
Zealot

Same here OrcaBlue. I can't stand the waiting either. But you have at least an E-Ink-device. I have only the telephone you see in the comparison picture with an LCD display.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Scheichxodox, I feel your pain.

If only Sony would release a 9.7" inch screen with the current capability it would be sweet.

Also, why are we, ereader adopters, have to be subjected to a high price, for a device that only good at doing one thing and can't even do it well? sigh.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
scheichxodox
Zealot

And here is the maybe most interesting size comparison: Ebook readers vs. real paper. I've compared some of the larger readers to DIN A4 and DIN A5 paper size. I've also minded the 2 cm margin around the text on the paper.

The interesting result is, you need at least a 9" reader with nearly no margin to display the text of a DIN A5 paper. A 9.7" reader equals DIN A5 including the 2 cm standard margin.
And even the Xtra-Large Skiff Reader isn't able to display native DIN A4.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	irex-iliad_din-a5.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	45454   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus-drs-950_din-a5.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	45455   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocketbook-901_din-a5.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	45456   Click image for larger version

Name:	que-reader_din-a5.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	45457   Click image for larger version

Name:	skiff-reader_din-a5.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	45458   Click image for larger version

Name:	que-reader_din-a4.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	45459   Click image for larger version

Name:	skiff-reader_din-a4.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	45460  
Old 02-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
And here is the maybe most interesting size comparison: Ebook readers vs. real paper.
Would it be possible to throw in the iPad to the comparison?

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-12-2010 at 08:23 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
scheichxodox
Zealot

If I find the time for this, I'll throw it in. Are there some more devices you want into the comparison?

I would also recommend anybody to download the XCF-File, open it with Gimp and play a little with it. There you can compare the devices you are really interested in. You can align them by the bottom of the screen or the bottom of the device, whatever suits you. And you can change the transparency the way you like it.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
The comparison size chart is very interesting and useful. Thank you.
Although the Cybook Opus looks so very small on your chart it is very clear and easy to read and really does fit in my handbag. I can't see the iPad in my handbag.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Hei you did the job that Mgmueller should have to do with the real ones !
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #14
scheichxodox
Zealot

Here are some additional ones. This time I wanted to see how much I can display if I turn the readers to the side. It's interesting to see, that 6" is not enough to show the half of a DIN A5 page, same with 9" and DIN A4.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sony-prs505_din-a5-sideways.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	45770   Click image for larger version

Name:	irex-iliad_din-a5-sidways.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	45771   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus-drs-950_din-a4-sidways.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	730.8 KB
ID:	45772   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocketbook-901_din-a4-sideways.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	772.7 KB
ID:	45773  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berylmary View Post
The comparison size chart is very interesting and useful. Thank you.
Although the Cybook Opus looks so very small on your chart it is very clear and easy to read and really does fit in my handbag. I can't see the iPad in my handbag.
Same for me, and for a friend on mine I like the size, I don't want King Kong for reading
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote