Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Urgh No Collections again.. My Fire and NC fight it out!

LOL, sorry if I'm coming out negative. I do like the Fire, but I went through this with K1. The one thing I like about Nook Color is you can set up book shelves for your series etc. Nook Color had this out the gate (even though it was flaky when using the SD card), I just figured Fire would have something like that. It was the biggest gripe with the K1..

Comparing it against my Nook color, I like the form factor of the Fire much better. Now my Nook Color is kind of Ugly, maybe I just like simple designs better.

Fire has a better screen. I compared the same open books, side by side and Nook Colors white have a yellow tint to them. Fire looks true white.

Back to the display, the text is also darker and sharper on the Fire when I look at the same books on the same settings side by side.

However, Nook Color's finger prints are hardly noticeable where as on the Fire its all I do notice when its laying on the table. Wow what a finger print magnet. I hate screen protectors but I might have to get one just for this. I can't even remember when the last time was I cleaned off my Nook color screen, the Fire screen I can see this is going to be a several times a day job.

Keyboard, I hate the keyboard on the Fire, I always make mistakes on it. The keyboard on the Nook Color is more spaced out or something because I can type on it much easier with very few errors.

Ecosystem, That one is no brainer, Amazon wins that hands down.

The screen doesn't always respond on my fire. It could be because of an App starting or something or not fully loaded, I'm not sure but I've had it several times. Nothing deal breaking though. Haven't noticed that on my Nook..

Screen glare, Fire has more of this then the Nook color.

I like Fire's home screen except I don't like every thing I do to show up on the home screen. Especially google search or my banks website. I rather put what I want on the carousel to show up and not my bodice ripper books. (I don't really care but I would like to put what I want there myself.)

Heat, Fire generates more. I haven't tested it long enough but you can feel some warmth on the back after streaming Pandora for a while. I don't feel that the NC, it stays cool..

I'm having a really hard time deciding if I will sell NC or send Kindle Fire back. I like it enough to keep it, I'm a Prime member, I have most of my things tied up in Amazon as far as books and Apple as far as music.. Its just nice to use Kindle natively and not through an App.

Welp! That's it for the moment, I'll add more if I run into anything.

Last edited by Synergi; 11-16-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Echosystem, That one is no brainer, Amazon wins that hands down.
Do you mean "ecosystem"? I'm struggling to see where echoes are involved in a reader .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean "ecosystem"? I'm struggling to see where echoes are involved in a reader .
hehe sorry, tired its almost 4am and I can't put down my new toy and sleep lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
LOL, sorry if I'm coming out negative. I do like the Fire, but I went through this with K1. The one thing I like about Nook Color is you can set up book shelves for your series etc. Nook Color had this out the gate (even though it was flaky when using the SD card), I just figured Fire would have something like that. It was the biggest gripe with the K1..

Comparing it against my Nook color, I like the form factor of the Fire much better. Now my Nook Color is kind of Ugly, maybe I just like simple designs better.

Fire has a better screen. I compared the same open books, side by side and Nook Colors white have a yellow tint to them. Fire looks true white.

Back to the display, the text is also darker and sharper on the Fire when I look at the same books on the same settings side by side.

However, Nook Color's finger prints are hardly noticeable where as on the Fire its all I do notice when its laying on the table. Wow what a finger print magnet. I hate screen protectors but I might have to get one just for this. I can't even remember when the last time was I cleaned off my Nook color screen, the Fire screen I can see this is going to be a several times a day job.

Keyboard, I hate the keyboard on the Fire, I always make mistakes on it. The keyboard on the Nook Color is more spaced out or something because I can type on it much easier with very few errors.

Ecosystem, That one is no brainer, Amazon wins that hands down.

The screen doesn't always respond on my fire. It could be because of an App starting or something or not fully loaded, I'm not sure but I've had it several times. Nothing deal breaking though. Haven't noticed that on my Nook..

Screen glare, Fire has more of this then the Nook color.

I like Fire's home screen except I don't like every thing I do to show up on the home screen. Especially google search or my banks website. I rather put what I want on the carousel to show up and not my bodice ripper books. (I don't really care but I would like to put what I want there myself.)

Heat, Fire generates more. I haven't tested it long enough but you can feel some warmth on the back after streaming Pandora for a while. I don't feel that the NC, it stays cool..

I'm having a really hard time deciding if I will sell NC or send Kindle Fire back. I like it enough to keep it, I'm a Prime member, I have most of my things tied up in Amazon as far as books and Apple as far as music.. Its just nice to use Kindle natively and not through an App.

Welp! That's it for the moment, I'll add more if I run into anything.
if you want to get away from apple use an app pn your pc and then android device called double twist (it will move and synch your library from itune and windows media player. then after its synched you can upload it onto amazons cloud and you can play them through the browser on the kindle or download and play them on amazons mp3 app on android devices i even have some of amazons mp3 purchased and shareing play lists on my android mp3 player and the amazon cloudplayer i hope it helps you with your decision.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use in Landscape mode.

Quote:
If you have the Marware cover, you can stand it on a desk or table in Landscape Mode. Plus, you can configure the keyboard to make sounds. Then it is far more accurate than in Portrait Mode.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you have the Marware cover, you can stand it on a desk or table in Landscape Mode. Plus, you can configure the keyboard to make sounds. Then it is far more accurate than in Portrait Mode.
True, but I was comparing the Fire's against the Nook Color's portrait mode typing and it's just way easier on NC.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Work with the Fire for a few more days and then decide. You don't need to make a decision today.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Work with the Fire for a few more days and then decide. You don't need to make a decision today.
I think I'm going to keep it a few weeks. Thankfully Amazon has a generous return policy. I want to love it considering I got it for free (with Mypoints saved over the years.) but we'll see.

That collection thing bugs me the most. Back to have no way to organize a series..
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can do it with plugboards in Calibre; that allows you to automatically prefix the title with the series name and number.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
You can do it with plugboards in Calibre; that allows you to automatically prefix the title with the series name and number.
Ahh very cool, is there a place that shows you how to do that? I've used Calibre but I have never used any plugins for it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Keyboard, I hate the keyboard on the Fire, I always make mistakes on it.
I find the Fire's keyboard much easier to use in landscape orientation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
BTW, have you installed Amazon's app store on the Nook Tablet yet?

Edit: nevermind. I see you have the Color not the Tablet.

Last edited by Fbone; 11-16-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I find the use of the word 'ecosystem' applied to corporate activity a cruel misnomer.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahh very cool, is there a place that shows you how to do that? I've used Calibre but I have never used any plugins for it.
Not plugins - plugboards. There's a sticky thread for it here in the Calibre forum. It's a standard Calibre feature - no plugins involved.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I am also concerned about the lack of collections, although they are only useful for me if the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin can be used to manage them. Given that K4PC collections, and now Kindle Touch collections, are not accessible via USB I am not optimistic - even though I do expect Amazon to add collections relatively quickly. So your suggestion of augmented titles via a plugboard may be the best option. One good thing is that title search is very fast on the Fire, and it reacts to each letter typed. Many original titles now include the series name in parenthesis at the end, so I was able to find them in my Kindle archived items. It typically takes 3-5 letters to drill down to a single series. I always remove the series from the title in Calibre, so now I will have to add it back via a plugboard. In any case, this will be more consistent and can include the series order.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote