Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2024, 05:59 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Egadget: "The best ereaders for 2024"

https://www.engadget.com/best-ereader-130013808.html

A 6" colour ereader. Heads are going to explode.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, that's just crazy.
Even the biggest color booster must admit that color has some disadvantages over B/W.
At the very least they should be two separate categories.

I appreciate the 12 years of minor improvements in 6" B/W readers.
It seems that trend is running out of steam.
I'm not sure Onyx will be releasing new models in that format.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, that's just crazy.
Even the biggest color booster must admit that color has some disadvantages over B/W.
Sure, just like the biggest B/W boosters must admit there is a disadvantage over color?
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can someone which a color Reader say they'll never read any text in B&W?

Last edited by JSWolf; Yesterday at 07:50 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, what's the best vehicle for 2024?
Is it a car or a pickup?
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FYI, colour ereaders display B/W text.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
FYI, colour ereaders display B/W text.
True.
And you can use a shovel as a teaspoon too.

Maybe in the future color eink will be so popular that a B/W model would cost more.
If there is any visual difference in B/W mode, I will always prefer a B/W model.
I don't care about graphic novels or covers. I like text, black on white.

Last edited by Renate; Yesterday at 08:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
True.
And you can use a shovel as a teaspoon too.
Personally, I wouldn't.

And you can use a B/W to "display" colour, but now you don't have to.

Quote:
If there is any visual difference in B/W mode, I will always prefer a B/W model.
I don't think of myself as an absolutist. So as long as the difference is minimal, I could see myself getting a colour reader.
Quote:
I don't care about graphic novels or covers. I like text, black on white.
Which is fine. We all have our opinions. I'm of similar mind, but recently I saw a beautiful cover, which got me to thinking about colour for the sleep screen of my Kobo. And I don't want black on white; I currently prefer black on yellowish grey on my Kobo.

Personally, my next ereader will be B&W; if I could physically compare a colour ereader, I may change my mind. And if Kobo only offered a colour 6" and Amazon had a 6" B/W, I would try the Kobo colour.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I have InkPad Color 3 and Clara Colour. I have done quite a bit of B&W reading on them, and will continue to do so. I don't feel like it is compromised, or at least not so noticeable that I would read on a different device. So to me having color is an overall plus, and is a feature I will want on any future e-reader.

My main complaint about both is that they have not put enough thought into reading of fixed layout content, and in particular support for facing pages in landscape. Spreads are meant to be viewed as they were designed, not cut in half. Kindles all support this, and of course have panel view as well.

They could do something as simple as an option to display spreads (when one is encountered) rotated 90 degrees while remaining in portrait orientation. Instead they get shrunk and occupy half of the screen. Dumb.

Manga work pretty well in facing page mode even on 6" display. I feel I'm missing something if I can't see spreads 'whole'.

Last edited by tomsem; Yesterday at 11:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This article is out-of-date. For a color eInk device, the best one is the reMarkable Paper Pro. The rest (color Kaleido are just toys on comparison).
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #11
Renate
Wizard

So, what is the "Canvas Color Display" on the Paper Pro and who makes it?
As a fan of yellow, I don't find their "yellow" compelling.

Not very related, but https://www.amazon.com/Standalone-El...dp/B0BNL2V943/
$20 and runs on a 2032 coin battery.
There must be a use case for this!
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So, what is the "Canvas Color Display" on the Paper Pro and who makes it?
As a fan of yellow, I don't find their "yellow" compelling.

Not very related, but https://www.amazon.com/Standalone-El...dp/B0BNL2V943/
$20 and runs on a 2032 coin battery.
There must be a use case for this!
The screen is made by eInk Corp. It's the new Gallery 3 screen with much faster response time. It does not use an overlay for color so the color will be better then Kaleido 3 and B&W text will not be darker.
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This article is out-of-date. For a color eInk device, the best one is the reMarkable Paper Pro. The rest (color Kaleido are just toys on comparison).
Are you sure? The article is for best ereader, not eink device. From comments on this forum, the Remarkable hardware/software hasn't been the best for ereading.

I'm a little surprised you would consider it the best, due to the size. I would think that the engadget would disagree also, due to the size.
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm a little surprised you would consider it the best, due to the size. I would think that the engadget would disagree also, due to the size.
...and the price! Which is insane, if your use case is ereading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you sure? The article is for best ereader, not eink device. From comments on this forum, the Remarkable hardware/software hasn't been the best for ereading.

The best does not mean it has to be a small size. It's the best color eInk device currently.