Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Find fallback font?

I bought a book from Kobo today that won't display properly on my Sage (or in Kobo's own Web Reader), but IS readable in the Calibre viewer. The attached screenshot shows the relevant css and the message that the embedded font is not on my system. If Calibre is using a fallback font, is there a way to find out what it is, and make sure I have it on my Kobo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shivm.png
Views:	913
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	198613  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Qt WebEngine the part that renders the text, will use fallback fonts. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to query it for which one they are.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Qt WebEngine the part that renders the text, will use fallback fonts. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to query it for which one they are.
Thanks for the prompt response. I think it will just be easier to read it in the Calibre Viewer, since it works. The free Calibre viewer will read a book that I paid Kobo for and which Kobo can't read. I'd say that's Calibre 1-Kobo 0
Old 12-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cant tell from the screenshot what OS you are on, but if its Linux you can use the various fontconfig command line utilities to find fallback fonts for specified text.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:17 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I cant tell from the screenshot what OS you are on, but if its Linux you can use the various fontconfig command line utilities to find fallback fonts for specified text.
Win 10 Pro. I'm quite happy to read it in the Viewer, it's a short collection of Gulzar poems about Partition
Advert
Old 12-26-2022, 10:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, I saw that in the screenshot. A very sad subject.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You could add alternate fonts (that you know exist on the Kobo) the the @ font Family list.
The render agent is supposed to try those in the order listed .

But 'what were the thinking' to release a book without a required font support
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I bought a book from Kobo today that won't display properly on my Sage (or in Kobo's own Web Reader), but IS readable in the Calibre viewer. The attached screenshot shows the relevant css and the message that the embedded font is not on my system. If Calibre is using a fallback font, is there a way to find out what it is, and make sure I have it on my Kobo?
I hope this helps to find a font that will work for what you want.

https://www.free-fonts.com/shivam-hindi
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You could add alternate fonts (that you know exist on the Kobo) the the @ font Family list.
The render agent is supposed to try those in the order listed .

But 'what were the thinking' to release a book without a required font support
What indeed! Unfortunately, the font is not Unicode, so neither my default Sage fallback of Arial Unicode nor the Noto Sans fonts will render it. BUT, but Hooray for Kovid and Calibre!

The Calibre editor showed me the 2 embedded fonts, and I was able to save them first to my PC (where they opened fine in the font previewer) then to my device, where the de-drm'd epub now renders just fine, in both languages. Kovid 1 - Kobo 0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eng.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	198622   Click image for larger version

Name:	hin.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	198623  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-27-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What indeed! Unfortunately, the font is not Unicode, so neither my default Sage fallback of Arial Unicode nor the Noto Sans fonts will render it. BUT, but Hooray for Kovid and Calibre!

The Calibre editor showed me the 2 embedded fonts, and I was able to save them first to my PC (where they opened fine in the font previewer) then to my device, where the de-drm'd epub now renders just fine, in both languages. Kovid 1 - Kobo 0
You appear to be saying that the book, as purchased from Kobo, did already have the correct fonts embedded. Assuming you're using one of Kobo's own reading apps (not KOReader) they would also expect you to follow their standard advice of setting the font in the Kobo [Aa] menu to 'Publisher Default' to see embedded fonts correctly. Is that what you did?

Fallback fonts only work in kepub but if the embedded fonts are adequate you shouldn't need fallbacks anyway.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You appear to be saying that the book, as purchased from Kobo, did already have the correct fonts embedded. Assuming you're using one of Kobo's own reading apps (not KOReader) they would also expect you to follow their standard advice of setting the font in the Kobo [Aa] menu to 'Publisher Default' to see embedded fonts correctly. Is that what you did?

Fallback fonts only work in kepub but if the embedded fonts are adequate you shouldn't need fallbacks anyway.
Yes, the book was set to publisher default.

I think there may have been other issues with the book because I removed it from my reader after being unable to read it, then contacted Kobo to tell them about the problem. During the CSR chat, I was unable to re-download it, despite it still being in "My Books". so the problem could have been at their end.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
BabelMap, freeware character map, has a 'font coverage' tool that'll identify the fonts that have all the selected characters. to demonstrate, copying the Urdu characters from this page:

Name:	2022-12-27 19_16_11-Font Coverage.png
Views:	58
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	198630

If you're good at recognizing fonts you may be able to identify it that way.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-27-2022 at 06:19 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I take chance and buy something Hindi from Kobo. For now, happy to have a readable copy on my Sage.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:18 AM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I feel like this is the kind of thing that would've been more useful had I posted it earlier
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:57 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I feel like this is the kind of thing that would've been more useful had I posted it earlier
Well, since I've bought 2 Hindi books at Kobo 4 years apart and had issues with both, the odds seem good that your advice will be helpful the next time