Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
fferreira
fferreira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
theKoboNotes - a new website for your Kobo's highlights and annotations

Hi!

I'm happy to present to you a new website that allows you to export your Kobo's notes - https://thekobonotes.com.

To use KoboNotes, you just have to load your data and all your highlights and annotations will be stored online for you to read anywhere and from any device. You can try the website with the demo account and read my personal notes.

Some of you may know that I developed a similar website 3 years ago. Unfortunately, that had to be shut down due to some server issues. Now the website is improved and I invite you all to try it.

If you have any question, feel free to ask

Best,
Francisco
fferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This is a really bad idea from point of privacy & security.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Hello, Francisco,

While I can't fault your chosen profession, you realize that listing your job title as "Data scientist" probably doesn't help allay people's concerns that you're gonna do nefarious things with their data, right?

I think you guys might wish to come up with a Privacy Policy and give it its own page, rather than addressing privacy concerns as a single bullet point in an FAQ.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #4
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
It's not open source? Aww.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
This is a really bad idea from point of privacy & security.
Not to mention that the OP still hasn't edited their previous announcement post, which still contains a link leading to a phishing site.

Uploading your sensitive data to this person's site appears to be an extraordinarily bad idea.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Extracting highlights from Kobo ereaders has always been a pain, and I'm grateful to those in the user community who have tried to make it easier. Of course, any individual is free to use, or not, thekobonotes.com. In the FAQ it says:

Is it safe to upload my Kobo .sqlite file to Kobonotes? How will you use my data?

We have developed Kobonotes to improve notes extraction from your Kobo eReader. In doing so, we tried to minimize the amount of data we collect from each user, which led us to the .sqlite file. Other eReaders, such as the Kindles, provide notes as a .txt file, which is smaller, easier to read, and only contain information about the highlights and annotations and nothing more. Kobo provides the same information in the form of a database, which contains more information that we need in order to present to you your notes. Now, I can assure you, we don’t use any other information presented on your .sqlite file besides checking what books currently have any notes and the highlights and annotations. We don’t even save your file, because all of its processing is made on your browser. So, in the end, we just save your highlights and annotations on our database, so we can show them to you from any device. The last thing I want with Kobonotes is being misunderstood. If you have any doubts regarding this website please let me know. Contact me through email, facebook or linkedin.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
And, in testing with my own database, so far it seems to work exactly as advertised.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
The last thing I want with Kobonotes is being misunderstood.
Which is very much at odds with his persistent refusal to edit a link on these forums that still points to a phishing site, despite his having been told about it repeatedly. caveat utilitor
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
fferreira

Hi, I'm sorry if I didn't change the link earlier. It's now solved. As for privacy issues, we understand the concerns. What we guarantee is that no data from the users it's used for any means rather than being available for them online, whenever they log in.

Nevertheless, we thought about this, so that's why we have a demo account. If you login with the demo, you can view how KoboNotes works. You can also load your data while on the demo account. If you do this, you can still view your notes, as they are stored on your browser, but they will not be saved anywhere. The next time you load the website the noted will be gone, and it will appear the demo's account notes - my personal notes.

We built this website for Kobo's community. This is a tool we personally needed so we decided to develop it. I hope you can enjoy it as much as we do.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You have a 3rd party audit of your security and your own practices?

Use it for yourself. People are better using their own secured hosting for any Internet based personal storage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
fferreira

No I don't. Like there's no 3rd party audit for many good web apps. If you want, you can always test Kobo Notes with the demo account.

Tags
highlights annotations