Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 05:46 AM   #1
SpicyPoison
Enthusiast
SpicyPoison began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Lightbulb Calibre Library book cover Browser as Screensaver

I use Calibre everyday. It's part of my life.
As long as my computer is On, Calibre keeps running in the background. Keep fetching News articles from 50+ Websites and News Sources. I use Calibre as my RSS aggregator and read all articles on my Kindle Paperwhite.

In calibre there is this cool 3D preview of Book Covers which shows covers of all the books in Calibre Library. Here is a YouTube video of this

I was just wondering if it is possible to start this 3D preview of Book Covers as a Screensaver? It will only work if your calibre is on in background.

I don't know if it will work with Microsoft Windows but I use Arch Linux BTW and it might work in linux. What are your thoughts on it?

P.S. - It maybe a very stupid idea. But a cool one.
SpicyPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can detach the cover browser from calibre into its own separate window, make that full screen and it will effectively be a screensaver.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #3
SpicyPoison
Enthusiast
SpicyPoison began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Yup that can be done.
But this is manual work.
Ain't there any way to run it automatically if the computer is inactive for 1minute? Just like all the Screensaver works.

I understand if there is no way of doing so.
SpicyPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not really, no. calibre doesn't have any notion of computer being "idle". Only th eOS can know that. So you would need to write some kind of script that gets called when the OS goes into idle state and that script should bring the calibre window to the front. Details of such a script however are very OS dependent.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover browser, linux, screensaver