Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 08:08 AM   #1
chantsing
chantsing began at the beginning.

Device: window
Calibre e-book viewer will appear a blank page between almost every chapter

As the title said, When i use Calibre e-book viewer to read EPUB ebook,i encounter an annoyed trouble that a blank page will be added between almost every chapter.

The trouble are appears under a certain situation ,Preferences > Page layout >In paged mode, control the number of pages per screen > Landscape. The number of Landscape is setted with 2. So, e-book viewer will switch to vertical dual page display.

But when The number of Landscape is setted with 1, which means e-book viewer display in single page. and, The number of Landscape is setted with 2 and enter full screen, which means e-book viewer display in full screen with vertically dual page, the blank pages will disappear.

I Test a lot Version of Calibre.

The lastest version-7.3.3 and the last version of 6 (6.29) encounter this issue, However the last version of 5 (5.44) is just fine.

The operating system i am running calibre on windows 11
chantsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's nothing we can do without seeing the relevant HTML/CSS code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
chantsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's nothing we can do without seeing the relevant HTML/CSS code.
I dont use CSS code, All setting is Defult.

Even Quick Start Guide which is build-in Calire encounter this issue.

When There is a blank page before the chapter which named Task 3:The e-book editor.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Quick Start Guide - John Schember.epub (53.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-21-2024, 12:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect it is caused by the combination of the books (p) margins and your margin settings in the VIEWER.
Until the </body> tag has been process, there needs to be space on the 'page'. That is probably your overflow.
FWIW I now avoid non-zero margin-bottom when possible and use the top one of the next P, for most spacing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:31 AM   #5
chantsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FWIW I now avoid non-zero margin-bottom when possible and use the top one of the next P, for most spacing
As what you said, i use the following CSS code to avoid non-zero margin-bottom in .

Code:
p {
        text-indent:2.5em;
	margin: 0 0 20px;
	padding: 0;
	line-height: 1.8;
	margin-bottom: 0px;
}
But, it does not work.
Advert
Old 01-22-2024, 09:10 AM   #6
chantsing

Finally, I 100% sure that it is a bug in window11

I do a lot tests, and find that Linux dont encounter this bug.
The version of my linux is the lastest linux mint based on Debian 12.
Cablire is installed by flatpak, its version is 7.4.

And, in window, I find some Clues.
First, Only when The end of a chapter (crosssponding to a xhtml) ocupies two pages on one screen, it will appears two blank page on the next screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	屏幕截图 2024-01-22 220240.png
Views:	43
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	205974

So, How to find out this bug?

By change margins of the page to contrl the end's position on screen, i find that
The end of a chapter ocupies one pages (the left page) on screen, the blank page just disappear, and the next screen is next Chapter.

Attention, Must press PAGE DOWN to PageDown.
When press RIGHT to PageDown, The blank page always appear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	屏幕截图 2024-01-22 220159.png
Views:	37
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	205975
Old 01-22-2024, 10:51 AM   #7
chantsing

I used another window11 compute to test, and, all is fine. So, I dont know what's wrong.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:53 AM   #8
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantsing View Post
I used another window11 compute to test, and, all is fine. So, I dont know what's wrong.
It happens to me in the two-column (landscape) mode. So could be related to how Calibre Viewer generates the columns?
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:35 AM   #9
chantsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
It happens to me in the two-column (landscape) mode. So could be related to how Calibre Viewer generates the columns?
So, I am afriad that I am not sure How it happens.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:45 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC there was a change made a while back to make it never show 2 chapters when in column mode. A common way Hardbacks did (paperbacks did not leave blank page$) .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:31 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Attention, Must press PAGE DOWN to PageDown.
When press RIGHT to PageDown, The blank page always appear.
I really like that left-arrow and right-arrow behave differently than PgUp/PgDn and Up-arrow/Down-arrow in 2 column landscape.

It allows changing how pages are paired and to keep the last previous page in view when a new page is displayed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:07 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As what you said, i use the following CSS code to avoid non-zero margin-bottom in .

Code:
p {
}
But, it does not work.
Since you are reading in calibre's viewer, the margin can be left as just 0. You can set the L/R margins in preferences.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:31 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Code:
p {
}
But, it does not work.
Out of curiosity, why are you setting the line height to 1.8? That is pretty much the equivalent of double spacing your text.

Personally, I use the following for my basic p code:

Code:
p {
  text-indent: 0;
  margin: 0 0 0 0;
  padding: 0.1em 0 0 0;
  margin-block-end: 0em;
}
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:13 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't use any sort of space between paragraphs. I don't like them. The indent or the section break tells me I'm on the next paragraph. Besides, Sincee I can read the paragraph with no space, then I don't need the space between paragraphs.

This is the CSS code I use.

Code:
p {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
As for line height, that goes. I find it really annoying. a height of 1.8 is ridiculous (IMHO).
Old 01-24-2024, 06:28 AM   #15
chantsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you setting the line height to 1.8? That is pretty much the equivalent of double spacing your text.

Personally, I use the following for my basic p code:

Code:
p {
  text-indent: 0;
  margin: 0 0 0 0;
  padding: 0.1em 0 0 0;
  margin-block-end: 0em;
}
it depends on my preferences. 1.8 em is more closed to eassys or Publiced books, For me, i wants a big font which needs biger line-height .