Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
eckmm38
eckmm38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hyphenation in Viewer?

Is there any way to turn on hyphenation in Viewer?

Thanks!
eckmm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckmm38 View Post
Is there any way to turn on hyphenation in Viewer?

Thanks!
I use the Hyphenate This! Plugin.

bernie

See screenshots first one is before running Hyphenate This!, the second is after running Hyphenate This!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-10 13-00-11.png
Views:	215
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	174847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-10 13-00-57.png
Views:	227
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	174848  

Last edited by gbm; 11-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
eckmm38
eckmm38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I use the Hyphenate This! Plugin.
This is a good workaround and I use it sometimes but this plugin modifies book files which I'm trying to avoid.

What I mean is the support in the viewer itself like in the old v3 viewer (there is an option under Misc Options). I also tried to add p {hyphens: auto} under styles but it didn't work (WebEngine limitation?). Looks like this should be yet anther feature request...
eckmm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm going to assume that you are adding this in the user stylesheet in the Preferences/Styles for the viewer. Hyphens: auto may not be supported but have you tried the other hyphen options used by various renderers? Or adding !important to the end of the line?

Here's what one poster gave as his hyphenation options:

Code:
  adobe-hyphenate: auto !important;
  -webkit-hyphens: auto !important;
  -moz-hyphens: auto !important;
  -ms-hyphens: auto !important;
  -epub-hyphens: auto !important;
  hyphens: auto !important;

Last edited by DNSB; 11-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea what webengine requires to enable hyphenation, probably dictionaries of some kind. Someday I will get around to investigating that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah webengine doesn't support it because chrome doesn't support it (except on macOS) https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=652964

I could of course implement hyphenation dynamically using soft hyphens with the hyphenator JS library (thsi is how it was done in v3) but that is hacky and slow and causes issues with other things such as search.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote