Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2024, 12:11 PM   #1
Argelo
Argelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo: Battery life over 11 years: Does this happen commonly?

I purchased a Kobo Glo in 2013, and to this day the battery still works quite well, even though 11 years have passed. Typically how long is the normal life of a battery like this? How long do you think it will last before having to change it?
Argelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Typical is 2 to 9 years depending on ambient temperature and number of equivalent to total charge cycles (i.e. only discharging 20% for five times = 1) and materials quality and assembly. Higher ambient ages it faster.

It may need replaced tomorrow or next year.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It depends on how you treat the battery. If you regularly charge to 100% in hot weather, it'll die within a few years. If you keep it cool and avoid charging above 80% or so, it'll last much longer.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:48 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelo View Post
I purchased a Kobo Glo in 2013, and to this day the battery still works quite well, even though 11 years have passed. Typically how long is the normal life of a battery like this? How long do you think it will last before having to change it?
I've got a couple pre-2010 Sony readers that still hold a good charge. But I've read about batteries that quit within a few years — so I don't know if there is a "standard."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:57 AM   #5
Argelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It depends on how you treat the battery. If you regularly charge to 100% in hot weather, it'll die within a few years. If you keep it cool and avoid charging above 80% or so, it'll last much longer.
I normally charge the battery when it is around 40-50 percent and I disconnect it when it is at one hundred percent.
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 05:01 AM   #6
Argelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Typical is 2 to 9 years depending on ambient temperature and number of equivalent to total charge cycles (i.e. only discharging 20% for five times = 1) and materials quality and assembly. Higher ambient ages it faster.

It may need replaced tomorrow or next year.
I normally charge the battery when it is around 40-50 percent and I disconnect it when it is at one hundred percent.