Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
ffforevertw
ffforevertw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st Gen)
Unhappy Kindle paperwhite Unable to do text search after Calibre Conversion

Hi,
I converted an epub book into azw3 book using Calibre and uploaded the azw3 book to my Kindle paperwhite via Calibre. Then I opened the azw3 book and did a text search for an existing word, I got a reply:"Book Results(0)" "Title not yet indexed." So I did a Kindle reboot to force indexing. Afterwards, I repeated the same search for the same existing word, I got a different reply:"Book Results(0)""There are no results found in this book."(seemed to me indexing was fixed by reboot, but search failed)
Did the Calibre conversion render the book "unsearchable" in my Kindle paperwhite? Or are there any options that I should select for the conversion(I only set the AZW3 Output option to "Disable compression")? Please anyone shed some light.

Thx
ffforevertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Rebooting does not force indexing...

No, calibre conversion does not render the book unsearchable. What renders the book unsearchable is if the book contains images instead of proper text, but I doubt that is the case.

If the indexing claims to have suddenly completed after a reboot, I would be inclined to think it somehow got tricked into thinking the book is indexed when it actually isn't.

Try deleting the book from your Kindle, then plugging it into the computer and resending it from calibre. Then wait for the indexing to complete normally (it indexes in the background, so there is no sure way to know when it is done -- but it gets a more favorable priority when charging).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
ffforevertw
ffforevertw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st Gen)
It made sense. Thx.
ffforevertw is offline   Reply With Quote