Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Wacom Pad when pen in bay...

Hi,

since iRex offers a small range of bigger styli, I wonder if Wacom pens work on the DR1000 when the original pen is in its bay.

I ask, because when you did want to use another pen on the iLiad, you had to remove the original pen from the device (prop for saving battery they switch off wacom when the pen was not removed).

Thank you
Frank
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
You don't have to remove the pen entirely for the Wacom thing to work.
You only have to move the pen about 1cm out of the bay (there's a click mechanism that is (de)pressed by the top of the pen)
So (on my iLiad), i have my small pen sticking out a little bit while i'm annotation with my other pen, and i put it back entirely again when i stop writing/whatever..
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
doublepost?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I have a Wacom drawing board on my MAC and that pen doesn't work on the DR1000s.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
You do not have to remove the stylus from the DR in order to use another stylus. The Wacom pad is always active unless you disable it.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Great. Thank you all for the quick help.

And thank you pthwaite for the warning. So to be on the save side, I will order a bigger pen together with the DR.

Regards
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I have a Wacom drawing board on my MAC and that pen doesn't work on the DR1000s.
Yes, same here. I confirmed that beforehand by looking at "penabled"-compatible pens. They are all based on the previous generation Wacom technology, so certain older pens apparently work (mostly 1st gen Cintiq) However, shopping around, they all still cost as much new as the "professional" pen iRex offers, so I just went with that. (More on sketching when I post my impressions)

I can also confirm that the tablet still works with the included pen fully inserted.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post

And thank you pthwaite for the warning. So to be on the save side, I will order a bigger pen together with the DR.

Regards
I recently order the Advanced Stylus from iRex, (Model:ACU0011) because I wanted a larger stylus to use to write. It's 9mm. Has anyone use this one, for either the DR or iLiad?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
The Wacom pad is always active unless you disable it.
Now it would be nice to know if battery life is better, when you disable it. If this is true the low battery performance would be obvious.

Is there no option that wacom is only activated when pulling out the stylus? Thats a practical and battery saving feature with iLiad.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Now it would be nice to know if battery life is better, when you disable it. If this is true the low battery performance would be obvious.

Is there no option that wacom is only activated when pulling out the stylus? Thats a practical and battery saving feature with iLiad.
Well, I am not sure. I received the Advanced 9mm stylus - love it! - and now I leave the regular stylus in the slot all the time. The flip over cover has a stylus holder, so I just keep it in there. If anyone know something better to do to extend battery life, please let me know.

I find that even if I am not writing or making notes, the 9mm stylus is much faster for me to select what folder I want instead of pressing down or over and then enter....
So I do not know if I have better battery life or not. I still have not been able to read longer than 3 1/2 hours EVER. And to stay charged just sitting there, it is still only at 5 1/2 hours. (To make matters worse, I see Hamlin's V9t with the stylus is projecting a months worth of usage if reading 300 pages a day. I like this one better than the PlasticLogics one. However, I would settle at this point to just be able to have 8-10 hours without having to be connected to a battery pack or adapter!) But I do love the DR1000S.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Well, I am not sure. I received the Advanced 9mm stylus - love it! - and now I leave the regular stylus in the slot all the time. The flip over cover has a stylus holder, so I just keep it in there. If anyone know something better to do to extend battery life, please let me know.
On the iLiad, leaving the stylus in its slot turned off Wacom and therefore saved power. This isn't happening with the DR. Assuming turning off Wacom via the menus actually powers it down, this is the only known way to save power. This might be worth testing in the "on but not used" mode by someone - how much does turning off the Wacom actually extend the battery? This would also be an indicator of the difference between a DR1000S and DR1000.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You can disable the stylus & the Wacom tablet from the settings. It would then behave like the DR1000
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote