Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
drdtyc
drdtyc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Calibre cannot be installed on Win7 PC - please help

My Windows 7 PC has no Calibre installed.

I tried to install Calibre 1.11.0 both 32 bit and 64 bit on my PC.

Each of the above msi files can run initially with a window asking me to accept the terms of the GNU public license.

After accepting the licence agreement, the next window shows the progress bar of the installation wizard. After a few seconds, a pop up message box comes up saying: "Error reading from file E:\My Documents\Download\calibre-64bit-1.11.0.msi. Verify the file exists and you can access it"

The file does exist and I am installing it with Administrator Privilege.

I have re-download the msi files several time. But the same problem perists.

What have I done incorrectly? Can some one help? Thanks!
drdtyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
drdtyc
drdtyc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Moved the Calibre msi file to C:\Users\<myname>\documents
It install faultlessly.

Problem solved.

P.S. It could be that Calibre installer is expecting to be located in drive C: where the WIndows 7 OS is installed. Just a guess!
drdtyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds like permission/ownership issue, maybe something to do with the Trusted Installer Account. I install everything from E:/Downloads/Software to C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files(X86) without any problems.

Can you install other .msi's from the same location?

I've also installed Calibre onto Win7 & Win8 systems from USB flash memory gadget.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
I've developed the habit over the years of never running any installer from my system drive, so I am sure that this is not a requirement for Calibre's msi installer.

I'm not sure anymore where that setting is located, but there's a thing in windows that allows maintaining the ZONE:Identifier when you download stuff from the internet.

If it is activated and you've downloaded a file, then right-click and select Properties on the downloaded file, there is an Unblock button bottom right on the General tab. It may be the reason why the file refuses 'to be found' or rather why it fails to execute and produce that error

Last edited by At_Libitum; 11-25-2013 at 09:43 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
walan
Connoisseur
walan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with others

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
I'm using the Portable version of Calibre just fine on Win7.
walan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert