Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

Unhappy Can I change the switch off delay options

Hi,
I have a kobo glo. I'm satisfied with it but there's a little issue i'd like to solve.
It is possible to setup an automatic standby and switch off time in the "light standby and power" option menu.

That's fine for me with the standby time. I set it up at 15 min.
But I can't use the automatic switch off option because the time options are too short: from 5 to 60 minutes. I'd like to set it to something from at least 1 day until say 10 days.

Because I don't want to fully restart my kobo after 60 minutes, I don't use this option and my kobo is permanently on standby when not in use, sucking out the battery especially when I don't use it for a long period.

So my question is, is there a way to easily change the switch off time options? If it's not easy, is it at least feasible and how ?

Thank you for your help
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The power options are stored in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file. At the moment mine has:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=15
AutoSleepMinutes=15
The number is minutes. I don't have mine set to automatically turn off. The option for that is "AutoOffMinutes".

A "quick" test shows that if I change the values to 1 or 2, the time-out happens at about those times. As 60 is the maximum that can be selected, I am pretty sure that any values up to 60 will work. Above 60, I don't know, but it won't harm to try it. Several of the other options do work with values outside the selectable range.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

Thank you very much. I ve found it.
I did nt find these option despite i checked this file. because the text editor messed up its formatting (removal of all the spaces and returns).
Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Settings->Light, sleep and power->Power->Automatically power off after: Never
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

Apparently, if I put a number higher than 60 minutes to autooff, it doesn't work
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
did you try entering never instead of a number?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic.bretzel View Post
Apparently, if I put a number higher than 60 minutes to autooff, it doesn't work
Normally it should work. I don't remember, but I ve been trying something like 420 (7 hours), and the next day my Kobo Glo was powered off (from cover sleeping mode the previous day)

Ensure its properly entered in your Kobo eReader.conf file, for instance:

[PowerOptions]
AutoOffMinutes=480

(then maybe restart the reader to take it in account)

Also, don't visit the power options in your Kobo's menus anymore, or your custom values from the .conf file will be switched back to default values (15 min or something like that)

Currently I'm trying 4320 (3 days), but i never stop readingm so its hard to test ^^:
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic.bretzel View Post
Thank you very much. I ve found it.
I did nt find these option despite i checked this file. because the text editor messed up its formatting (removal of all the spaces and returns).
Thanks again.
You want a Linux/unix line termination which is a "line feed" 0A hex. And no Windows line termination which is "carriage return" & "line feed" 0B 0A hex.
If you are editing scripts in a windows text editor, you need to remove the "0B" hex from the edited file.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I used to have the AutoOffMinutes set to 1440 (24 hours), which worked fine. However, I've suddenly noticed it no longer works. I'm not sure at what point or how long ago it stopped, but currently at software version 3.15. Now, it just switches off after 60 minutes, the maximum that can be selected in the menu, even though the config file still states 1440.

Has anyone else noticed this? And/or found a 'fix'?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:35 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My memory of this was that the timeout was a three digit number. And the maximum might be 255 or 256. I've tested 100 with my Glo HD and it did time out then. I have changed to to 300. Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll be able to leave it alone for that long. I have about 90 minutes before I leave work which will give it about 120 between when I last touched it and want to use it. If it turns off at 60 minutes, then I am seeing what you are, and Kobo have changed something. If it goes longer, I'll have to remember to repeat the test at work tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It's probably a one byte un/signed integer variable and values range from 0-255, or maybe -127 to 128 depending on whether it was a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon when...

Hey, set it to a negative number and see if turns your reader back on... Nah. Could explain a lot of power issues... ;-)
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Interesting, thanks D&T!

Hahahaha TechniSol
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #13
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are there any news on this topic? A few days or at least 24h would be great.

Last edited by anyone; 07-10-2015 at 05:08 PM.
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone View Post
Are there any news on this topic? A few days or at least 24h would be great.
The last I heard, a single byte was used to stored the number. So 1 min to 255 minutes would be the limit. I do have to wonder why anyone would want to turn their ereader off after a 24 hour delay -- it's very rare for me to go more than 8 hours without using my ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The last I heard, a single byte was used to stored the number. So 1 min to 255 minutes would be the limit. I do have to wonder why anyone would want to turn their ereader off after a 24 hour delay -- it's very rare for me to go more than 8 hours without using my ereader.
I'd like 36 hours. The usage patterns for my wife and son mean they are either using them constantly for a couple of days, or don't touch them for a week or more. For this, one hour is to short, but never turning them off means the battery is flat when they do want to use them. And that would work well with my "test" devices.

Tags
kobo glo, switch off