Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Fastbucks
Fastbucks began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Unable to read the text on Calibre

Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie so bear with me.
I just bought a Sony PRS 505 on eBay, it should arrive today. I'm looking forward to this as my eyesight is not what it used to be, and I love to read.
In anticipation I downloaded the Calibre programme. It all seems to work but the text, you know, the writing on the dropdown menu's etc is all broken up and faint. It makes it near impossible to operate I have the same problem with Google Earth, but nothing else.
I've searched the web for answers but to no avail.
I've tried changing the display settings on my monitor but that doesn't help.
I keep thinking it must be the graphics card, but that's big enough for the kids games.
Any tips would be appreciated
Kind Regards
Dave in Germany
Fastbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Although I don't have a solution, those that might will need some more information. What version of calibre are you running? On what operating system (w/version)? And for your problem, screen resolution might be good to have.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Also, since you're from Germany, are you running the german translation?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Fastbucks

Hello, and thank you for the response. The calibre version is 0.7.27 and my PC is running on XP Pro. Both are in English as I'm an Australian living here with my German wife (don't ask).

My monitor screen resolution is set to 800x600 and that's pretty OK.

The Reader just arrived and the Menu is in German.(Groan) I had been told that it would be possible to change it to English, but this is another problem. I won't touch it without further advice. But it looks good.
Regards
Dave in Germany
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbucks View Post
The Reader just arrived and the Menu is in German.(Groan) I had been told that it would be possible to change it to English, but this is another problem. I won't touch it without further advice. But it looks good.
The language for menus is an option in the Sony settings, so easy enough to change.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Fastbucks

I think it's only in German. Normally I would see something saying "Sprachoptionen"and it's not there. I'll ask my wife , she'll be home soon.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
My monitor screen resolution is set to 800x600 and that's pretty OK.
Are you positive about this?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Fastbucks

Well it say it's set to 600x800 pixels, so I have to take their word
Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is very low resolution, and that might be the problem. It is possible that some of the fonts that calibre (and google earth) use won't render (display) correctly.

Is it possible to change it to (say) 1024x768? I know that doing so will make the characters smaller and harder to read, but it might fix the problem with calibre. If it does, then a) we know something new about calibre, b) you have a work around, and c) you could choose to get a larger monitor.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I just tested 0.7.27 on 800*600 px^2 without any problems.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Well, so much for that idea. I didn't want to do the test, because I didn't want to mess up my desktop.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Well, I wouldn't necessarily totally abandon the idea that this is somehow resolution related. Although all the scenarios I can think of ought to affect more than just two programs.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Fastbucks

I tried changing to 1024x768 but it doesn't change the problem I have with Calibre. Strange ay?. I thought I might be able to insert a screenprint so you could see the problem, but it seems to only want to upload from a website. Never mind. I'll keep you informed should I find a solution.
Regards
Dave
Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried changing to 1024x768 but it doesn't change the problem I have with Calibre. Strange ay?. I thought I might be able to insert a screenprint so you could see the problem, but it seems to only want to upload from a website. Never mind. I'll keep you informed should I find a solution.
Regards
Dave
A screen print would be good. You should be able to attach it to the post directly from your computer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Fastbucks

Ok here goes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	with arrows.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	60912