Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Series stopped working?

Hey guys, I'd set Calibre to send series information to my Kobo Aura and it worked fine. Now it no longer works. I haven't changed any of my Calibre settings, though I wonder if maybe some update changed something?

Check out the image below (I apologize for the poor quality. I snuck it during a slow time at work). The first two books (added months ago) show the series between the title and the author. Recently, I purchased more books in the series and they do not show the information.

The same has occurred with other series as well, so it's not just these books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
3 things to check:
  1. It looks like you're using the KoboTouchExtended driver so make sure you've configured KTE with these checked: 'Update metadata on device', 'Set Series'
  2. In main calibre Prefs, make sure 'Sending books to devices' is set to 'Automatic Management'
  3. If both of the above are already set, remember that after you send new books you need to disconnect from calibre to let the Kobo process the new items, then do a second connect to calibre so that all the relevant metadata can be automatically updated in the device's database.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
3 things to check:
  1. It looks like you're using the KoboTouchExtended driver so make sure you've configured KTE with these checked: 'Update metadata on device', 'Set Series'
  2. In main calibre Prefs, make sure 'Sending books to devices' is set to 'Automatic Management'
  3. If both of the above are already set, remember that after you send new books you need to disconnect from calibre to let the Kobo process the new items, then do a second connect to calibre so that all the relevant metadata can be automatically updated in the device's database.
Thanks for the reply. Those should all be applied already. It worked previously and has stopped. Still, I'll double check Calibre when I get home. I'm guessing some update to Calibre or the driver unchecked or changed one of those options.

Once I check and fix that, if I choose the 'resend metadata' option in Calibre, should that work? Or would I need to remove and add the books back?

I've also recently reapplied the patch to add Ligatures following Geoff and your advice in the Kepub vs. ePub thread. I didn't make any other changes to the patch and everything else on the Kobo works as expected after patching (search defaults to Library, header and footer can be turned off), so I don't *think* it's the problem, but am mentioning it, just in case.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Once I check and fix that, if I choose the 'resend metadata' option in Calibre, should that work? Or would I need to remove and add the books back?
It should if you mean via the Kobo Utilities plugin. But it won't explain why you have your current problem. In which case you'll still be in the same situation next time you send a new book.

I can't see how the Ligatures patch would cause this problem.

Have you recently changed from using the standard KOBOTOUCH driver to using KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED? If so, are you sure you remembered to configure the new driver with the same options as the old one had?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Recently, I purchased more books in the series and they do not show the information.
After you transfer the book(s) to your kobo you have to dismount and unplug your device and let nickel (Kobo's OS) index the book(s) then plug it back in to your computer with calibre open and then it will set that metadata.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It should if you mean via the Kobo Utilities plugin. But it won't explain why you have your current problem. In which case you'll still be in the same situation next time you send a new book.
But if I fix the problem following your advice in post #2, then it should fix it for all new books going forward, shouldn't it?

Quote:
I can't see how the Ligatures patch would cause this problem.
I didn't think so either. I just didn't want to hit post #27 and then say "oh, by the way guys..."

Quote:
Have you recently changed from using the standard KOBOTOUCH driver to using KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED? If so, are you sure you remembered to configure the new driver with the same options as the old one had?
I have not changed. I installed one of them when I first got my Kobo (I think it's Extended, but I'll double check when I get home) and have not changed. I did update, when Calibre prompted me to update plug-ins, but I let Calibre do all the heavy lifting.

I don't follow too many series, so I'm not even sure exactly when this problem started. I had just purchased a few series books recently and really only noticed it when I searched the author to list the books.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
After you transfer the book(s) to your kobo you have to dismount and unplug your device and let nickel (Kobo's OS) index the book(s) then plug it back in to your computer with calibre open and then it will set that metadata.
I always do that. But who knows? Maybe something went wrong one time? If the advice in post #2 doesn't work, I will try refreshing the metadata on those books, eject and plug back in as you mentioned.

Series isn't a feature I rely on heavily, but it does bother me when something is supposed to work and for some reason doesn't
Old 11-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the Kobo Utilities plugin to check if the database is corrupt or not. If it's not, the adice given is what should work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The seach results can be cached, if you do a search before updating the metadata and then do the exact same search after updating, the search results can continue to show the old metadata for a while. Turning the device off and on again will clear the cache.

This caching should only affect books that were very recently updated though, if books that were updated days ago are still showing old metadata then it is probably something wrong at Calibre's end.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Thanks guys! Looks good!

In the Kobo Extended driver, 'Update metadata on device' and 'Set Series' had become unchecked. Maybe when I let Calibre update the driver?