Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Failure to load French dictionnaries from .oxt

Hi

Now on Calibre 4.6.

I tried to install the latest French dictionaries which are included as .dic and .aff files in a Grammalecte oxt that I had downloaded and installed on my hard disk (Archlinux).

I failed

Code:
calibre, version 4.6.0
ERREUR : Échec à l'importation des dictionnaires: Échec à l'importation des dictionnaires depuis /home/roger/Documents/Documents pour EPUB/extensions OO/Grammalecte-fr-v1.6.0.oxt. Cliquer "Afficher les détails" pour plus d'information

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/tweak_book/spell.py", line 122, in accept
  File "site-packages/calibre/spell/import_from.py", line 126, in import_from_oxt
  File "src/lxml/etree.pyx", line 3222, in lxml.etree.fromstring
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1877, in lxml.etree._parseMemoryDocument
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1765, in lxml.etree._parseDoc
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1127, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDoc
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 601, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 711, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 640, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError
XMLSyntaxError: Namespace prefix manifest on manifest is not defined, line 2, column 19 (line 2)
Is it possible to install these .aff and .dic files manually in .config/calibre/calibre/dictionaries/dic-zffqqo ?
Why zffqqo?

My pref.json file in this folder contains

Quote:
{
"user_dictionaries": [
{
"is_active": true,
"name": "Par d\u00e9faut",
"words": [
[
"EPUB",
"fra"
]
]
}
]
}
Confused...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That indicates the oxt file is malformed, parsing its XML is failing
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply.

So, I left aside this version of Grammalecte and installed the one from LibreOffice extension here: https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...aires-francais
The version of the dictionary dates back from 2017 but should be fit for the purpose.

Indeed it installed nicely using strictly the Preferences folder and oxt install procedure.

When I opened one ePub, and asked to check spelling, though it did appear to work, it did not filter enough the unknown words. I got a huge list of words, most of them correct. So, for this reason, I can't make any use of this list.

Here is one example with the joint screenshot. Nearly all the words that appear on this screen have a correct spelling.

To be more precise, if I click on the place designated with the arrow, it does not make any change to the list. I should see most of the entries disappearing. They all stay put. No filtering. These things had been working with the 3. series version of Calibre since as far as I can recall.

P.S. I noticed in my .config folder, I ad
.config/calibre/dictionaries and other regular items
and
.config/calibre/calibre/dictionaries and what seems to be an older double of the regular items

I guess the top installation is the only one to be used and I did scrap the second one but it changed nothing to the results above. No filtering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dico.png
Views:	189
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	175614  

Last edited by roger64; 12-14-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: double
Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been no changes to spell checking since calibre 3. And filtering to only misspelled words definitely works, I just tested it. Presumably the dictionary is incomplete/missing those words/not working correctly. Where are you getting the dictionary from, as far as I can see the libreoffice french dictionary was updated last year not in 2017 https://github.com/LibreOffice/dicti...e/master/fr_FR
Old 12-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Something must be wrong in my settings which prevents a proper filtering but I do not think this comes from the French dictionaries I install.

These ones are placed in the folder: .config/calibre/dictionaries and are chosen by default.

I joined it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fr-dic.zip (331.2 KB, 184 views)
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I installed the frech dictionary from here: https://extensions.libreoffice.org/e...aires-francais

and added <p lang="fr>bombes</p>

to a book and ran spell check and as expected the word bombes was filtered out. Since you are on linux, I suggest making sure you are running the official calibre binaries.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard

Calibre 4.6. for Linux has been downloaded from your official repo.

I obtain different results for the word "bombes". I put this word in <span lang="fr">bombes</span> and it disappeared from the list in both cases.

As it is a genuine French word, it should have appeared in the list for all words and disappeared only (been filtered out) when I tick Display only mispellt words.

Last edited by roger64; 12-15-2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: tick
Old 12-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard

Hi

Downloading and installing again 4.6. Calibre binaries from official repo.
Idem for French dictionary oxt from LibreOffice repo.

The error signalled above (no filtering) is still here.
Has been present from day 1 of Calibre 4.

Spellchecking always worked with previous versions of Calibre.
It works with Sigil (including the latest v1.)

I wish there was some debug tool I could use to help track this.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You probably have soft hyphens or similar invisible characters in your words. It has nothing to do with filtering, spell check if flagging your words as mis-spelled.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:45 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard

It can't be a strange character. I also tried with older books of mine. It can't be that.

Let me have an aside, who knows?

Some few weeks ago, one program (called formateur de texte) was not working on my computer (archlinux). It's part of a bigger program for LibreOffice called "Grammalecte".

First, Linux build was deemed to be the probable culprit by the developer. To cut the story short, finally, it happened that there was a change to be done in some python program, maybe a consequence of python 3.8 use, and it was necessary to replace time.clock() with time.perf_counter().
Quote:
Merci. Grâce à ça, j’ai pu corriger le problème.

Dans le fichier TextFormatter.py, il faut remplacer les deux occurrences de time.clock() par time.perf_counter().
For what it may be worth...

Last edited by roger64; 12-19-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard

Hi

This is what I found:

I found French books where filtering is working and others where it is not.
All books have this code in the opf
Code:
<dc:language>fr-FR</dc:language>
or
Code:
<dc:language>fr</dc:language>
The only difference I can spot is in the "head"...

With these "head", it's OK and filtering is working

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
or

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
But with this "head", it is -surprisingly - not OK and filtering does not work (while it works with Sigil or with Calibre versions before 4)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="fr-FR" xml:lang="fr-FR">
You can find one example in an ePub3 recently published on MR

Last edited by roger64; 12-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It has nothing to do with headers, its because some fo the words are surrounded by narrow no-break spaces, and the updated ICU library calibre 4 uses, considers these part of the word, which for spelling purposes it definitely is not.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:46 AM   #13
roger64
Wizard

@Kovid

Thank you for finding the reason!! I was sure something had changed with version 4 but was totally out of my mind as to the reason...

I did not suspect it because I have been using nnbsp in my epubs for many years. Does this mean that from now on, I'll have a choice:
- either use nnbsp (authorized and even recommended by French punctuation rules)
- or use Calibre French spellchecker?

The updated ICU library made indeed a strange choice. Can this absurd situation be normalized to revert to the customary way? (i.e. to use nnbsp AND to use spellcheck)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:11 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's already done: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7ed2a354d73d17
Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #15
roger64
Wizard