Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Stuck pixel on 7.8” fresh out of the box

I assume there’s no way to fix, and I need to exchange?

https://imgur.com/XvpMNRi
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got a replacement, same stuck pixel at the same spot (or something under the substrate that's reflecting the back light).

Manufacturing defect?
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
rumitg2
rumitg2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight PLus 7.8
I think you just got unlucky. The first on I picked up also had a dead pixel on the top right but my exchanged unit is free from dead pixels.
rumitg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
3 units with dead pixels?

Wow!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
I assume there’s no way to fix, and I need to exchange?

https://imgur.com/XvpMNRi
Does that white spot turn black on a white screen?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does that white spot turn black on a white screen?
No it's always white. No amount of light adjustment, nor turning up the warm light helps it.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No it's always white. No amount of light adjustment, nor turning up the warm light helps it.
Okay, thanks. Sorry. Did you replace the second one?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Sorry. Did you replace the second one?
The store manager suggested I go to a different store, and see if their stock is any good. So doing that tomorrow.

Then I'm sitting there in the cafe until I verify it's ok.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The store manager suggested I go to a different store, and see if their stock is any good. So doing that tomorrow.

Then I'm sitting there in the cafe until I verify it's ok.
Okay, but that seems like a lame response, though. You would think the manager would want to find one that was good for you. Do you like it otherwise? (Probably not enough time to really know.) It looks like the support pages for the 7.8" are directly tied to the Glowlight 3, so I've got a feeling it's using the same software release. Which might be a bad thing (it'll work like the 3), or a good thing — they might come out with a working release for the 3 based on further development on the 7.8.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay, but that seems like a lame response, though. You would think the manager would want to find one that was good for you.
I agree, could be trying to pawn me off to another store. Or maybe he genuinely thinks their entire box of units is faulty, which is a shame.

Quote:
Do you like it otherwise? (Probably not enough time to really know.) It looks like the support pages for the 7.8" are directly tied to the Glowlight 3, so I've got a feeling it's using the same software release. Which might be a bad thing (it'll work like the 3), or a good thing — they might come out with a working release for the 3 based on further development on the 7.8.
The software updates immediately upon connecting to wireless, to Version 50.0.114 / 5.0.4.30. Plus it has Bluetooth now.

But yeah I love the screen. TO ME at least, looks exactly like a paper book. However the slowness and limited interface is still there from the original 6" model. Wish it had more font choices, more font sizes, etc.

But overall screen > all else. Personal preference thing.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
I agree, could be trying to pawn me off to another store. Or maybe he genuinely thinks their entire box of units is faulty, which is a shame.

The software updates immediately upon connecting to wireless, to Version 50.0.114 / 5.0.4.30. Plus it has Bluetooth now.

But yeah I love the screen. TO ME at least, looks exactly like a paper book. However the slowness and limited interface is still there from the original 6" model. Wish it had more font choices, more font sizes, etc.

But overall screen > all else. Personal preference thing.
Are you able to pair a bluetooth keyboard with it?
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Are you able to pair a bluetooth keyboard with it?
Don’t own one, sorry.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Don’t own one, sorry.
No problem. Does the box say how heavy the device is? Still can't find any specs.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think suggesting another store is a good idea. He probably has a rule about opening these things before they're paid for. Most stores do. And if you got two with the same problem from the same store it's likely to be a bad batch.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 AM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Can one use custom fonts on a Nook? What about boldness adjustment, like Kobos and Kindles have?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote