Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #451
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post

I bit on the deal @ Amazon and traded in my 2017 (7th Gen) HD10 to get $30 credited to my Gift Card balance and 20% off the new tablet, with 5 monthly payments too. While reviews generally agree it is not must-have upgrade, the features that helped my decision were: 1. faster processor, 2. USB-C charging and 3. my awesome Fintie Tuatara Magic Ring case will fit the new HD 10!

I can't say enough good things about this case: built-in screen protector, ruggedized protection, handle on back can swivel and open to any angle needed to prop the tablet for comfortable viewing and can be used to carry the thing around. Those who like the light streamlined design of the tablet will probably not like this chunky case or its $40 price tag, but it works for me. And, the Navy color will match the Twilight Blue HD10 beautifully! (Not that the the tablet color will be visible anyway... but I'LL KNOW) Link
So you can get the trade-in 20% off the $100 price? I should see if they'll take my HDX.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #452
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
So you can get the trade-in 20% off the $100 price? I should see if they'll take my HDX.
I should think so; go to the item you'd like to get and click on the button "Upgrade and save with Trade-in" - this will show eligible devices registered to your Amazon account. I think other tablets may also be eligible, and they don't even have to be working, according to comments I've seen. Older items may only qualify for a $5 or $10 gift card, but it's the 20% discount that really matters. And yes, it is applied to the current sale price so if you are keen - jump on it soon!

I got the gift card credit and 20% discount emails immediately, and I have until Feb 11 (3 weeks) to send in the trade-in item. The credit and discount may be reversed if your trade-in item is eventually found to be unacceptable, but that should be well within the return window if the deal does not work for you.
ngrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #453
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good - should I deregister before returning?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #454
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yes, but wipe it clean first:

Settings --> Device Options --> Reset to Factory Defaults
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #455
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
**EDIT** The omniscient tubemonkey beat me to a quick answer... **/EDIT**

I would make sure the trade-in was properly processed and you receive the gift card credit (if applicable) and 20% discount email and the shipping label first (!), then deregister and factory reset your device. I asked about and was told to send "with all accessories" so I am including the cable and wall charger that came with my tablet. I removed my case and *almost* forgot to remove my 128GB MicroSD card, wow I sure would have regretted losing that...

Enjoy your new Fire HD10!

Emails will look like this, and there will also be one with a UPS shipping label:

Quote:
You qualify for a special offer:
A 20% promotional discount toward any new Fire Tablet is now available in your account. The discount will be applied automatically once you add any new Fire Tablet to your cart. Visit amazon.com/firetablets to shop our latest generation of devices.

For more information about your trade-in promotions, visit Your Trade-In account.
Quote:
Hi XXXXX, ship your $30.00 trade-in before the offer expires.

Ship by February 11, 2020.

GET FREE SHIPPING LABEL
Next steps

PACK YOUR ITEMS
See packing guidelines

SHIP FOR FREE
Print your shipping label and drop off at any UPS location.

You qualify for a special offer:
A 20% promotional discount toward any new Fire Tablet is now available in your account. The discount will be applied automatically once you add any new Fire Tablet to your cart. Visit amazon.com/firetablets to shop our latest generation of devices.

For more information about your trade-in promotions, visit Your Trade-In account.

Things to know
Instant payment items must meet specified criteria and be shipped by February 11, 2020 to avoid charges.
Rejected items will be returned at no shipping cost. You will be charged for the instant payment amount you received.
Any charges will first be deducted from your Amazon.com Gift Card, with any remaining balance charged to your credit card on file.

Last edited by ngrant; 01-22-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #456
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Thanks - it's on order, $75 + tax - traded my 2013 Fire HD 8.9. I haven't used it for years but it's in brand new condition, charged it up last night and it'd holding 100%. I forgot about the charger that came with it but I have one of the old Powerfast chargers I can send back with it.

Edit> Actually I found the original packaging and it apparently didn't include a charger - the instructions recommend buying the Powerfast charger separately. It surprises me that Amazon lets you stack the 20% discount on top of the 33% discounted sale price.

Quote:
**EDIT** The omniscient tubemonkey beat me to a quick answer... **/EDIT**

I would make sure the trade-in was properly processed and you receive the gift card credit (if applicable) and 20% discount email and the shipping label first (!), then deregister and factory reset your device. I asked about and was told to send "with all accessories" so I am including the cable and wall charger that came with my tablet. I removed my case and *almost* forgot to remove my 128GB MicroSD card, wow I sure would have regretted losing that...

Enjoy your new Fire HD10!

Emails will look like this, and there will also be one with a UPS shipping label:

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 01-23-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #457
ngrant
Gadget Lover

Quote:
Thanks - it's on order, $75 + tax - traded my 2013 Fire HD 8.9. ... It surprises me that Amazon lets you stack the 20% discount on top of the 33% discounted sale price.
You're welcome! Yes, it's a crazy-good deal and I couldn't resist. I recall getting a similar discounted deal and 5 interest-free monthly payments when I bought the 2017 HD10 for something like $90, so this time around it's even better. I also have a 2013 Fire HD 8.9 in a cupboard somewhere, enjoyed the superb screen at the time until it was replaced by a new shiny toy (story of my gadget-filled life).
Old 01-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #458
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
You're welcome! Yes, it's a crazy-good deal and I couldn't resist. I recall getting a similar discounted deal and 5 interest-free monthly payments when I bought the 2017 HD10 for something like $90, so this time around it's even better. I also have a 2013 Fire HD 8.9 in a cupboard somewhere, enjoyed the superb screen at the time until it was replaced by a new shiny toy (story of my gadget-filled life).
Unfortunately Amazon abandoned the HD 8.9 shortly after it came out, so it doesn't run many apps (and I assume is based on a very old Android flavor).

It was also uncomfortably heavy by today's standards.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #459
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Unfortunately Amazon abandoned the HD 8.9 shortly after it came out, so it doesn't run many apps (and I assume is based on a very old Android flavor).

It was also uncomfortably heavy by today's standards.
My first tablet. I loved it, but soon upgraded to iPads and haven’t used it in years.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #460
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I was surprised to see BF-ish prices on the Paperwhite last week, and today the Fire HD10 is back down to $100. I'm slightly tempted to get one now that the battery on my HDX7 is only giving me about an hour of use...
MLK and Mother's Day tend to be when Kindles are cheapest apart from Prime Day and Black Friday/holidays.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:41 PM   #461
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Black Friday as we know it is finally dead

Quote:
This could be the year Black Friday finally unravels.
Quote:
At least one retailer is already thinking ahead to a different Black Friday game plan this year.

Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette raised the issue with analysts just last week. "When you look at the stores, I would tell you that [crowds are] a big concern of ours. But when you think about a Black Friday, if you think about the 10 days before Christmas, what does that mean in terms of traffic if people are nervous about gathering with crowds?"

At the same time, more consumers have actively embraced online shopping. Noting the trend, Gennette said Macy's is looking to focus on online deals for Black Friday.

Macy's (M)is also considering a much earlier start to its Black Friday marketing push, potentially right after Halloween, and plans to adopt one other tactic for the first time during the upcoming holiday shopping season.

"Curbside pickup is going to be a big secret weapon for us. We didn't have it last holiday season," said Gennette. "We think that's going to be huge for this holiday season."
Quote:
Industry watchers say Black Friday has been losing its relevance with shoppers in recent years.

One reason is because retailers started to spread their deals out over many days instead of just one day. And consumers increasingly have turned to the internet to find even deeper deals than in-store bargains, forcing more holiday shopping to shift online.

"I think it's accurate to say that online sales now account for as much as 40% of Black Friday sales," said Rankin.

Online sales were rising even before the pandemic. In 2019, shoppers spent more than $600 billion online, up nearly 15% from the previous year, according to the Commerce Department.

"Black Friday has definitely transitioned more into a digital affair in the past five years," said Neil Saunders, retail analyst and managing director at GlobalData Retail. "The focal point is not that single day anymore. It's an event spread out over several days."
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:49 AM   #462
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
The only part of this that I have ever participated in was Cyber Monday. There was a time in my life when I enjoyed shopping in department stores: Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Saks. I stopped that around 1998, maybe earlier, but that was the point in my life when I had my debt paid off.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote