Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old Today, 09:41 AM   #1
g3rfield
g3rfield began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Lite
Web browser refresh page support?

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a Pocketbook Inkpad Lite, and have a question about the web browser; maybe someone with a Pocketbook would be willing to test this for me?

Basically, I'd like to know the if the standard web browser supports an automatic page refresh, either using Javascript or HTTP (meta) refresh headers.

I had a look around, and found these "demo pages":
1. The test button on https://demo.cyotek.com/features/metarefresh.php will reload the page in 5 seconds. If this works once, it can easily be modified to reload indefinitely (like every 15 minutes).
2. https://time.is uses Javascript, it might fetch the Pocketbook's internal time (if it has that)
3. This one is kinda cool as a "technology demo" too, it uses CSS and not Javascript (but that is totally not what I intend to use) - https://www.quaxio.com/pure_css_digital_clock.html

Also: I guess the device may or not go into standby even if it gets a regular page refresh - especially if the refresh time is very long. Would be good to know if it does or does not enter standby (or lose wifi??), as well - and what the battery impact would be of keeping a web page regularly refreshed. If it kills the battery in a few hours, that kind of defeats the purpose.

Use cases for this is kinda like turning into a "screensaver" when it's not being used:
* home automation dashboard (outside temperature, or whatever you want to show)
* showing your (remote) images as a low-res photo frame. Would require some work though (a Raspberry Pi or some web-enabled NAS perhaps)
* showing a large clock, obviously, but there may already be "an app for that"

Why Inkpad Lite - because it's pretty big, relatively cheap, and not a completely closed environment like Kindle. I realize the resolution is rather low.

Thanks!
Gerrit

Last edited by g3rfield; Today at 09:43 AM.
g3rfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #2
g3rfield
g3rfield began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Lite
Reading this thread I also wonder how the activity LED behaves (I would guess it only turns on during page reload and rendering?)
g3rfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #3
dmalinovsky
Connoisseur
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
So I tested Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3 with time.is and the browser is keeping the page running, keeping Wi-Fi on and quickly depleting the battery.

Quote:
Reading this thread I also wonder how the activity LED behaves (I would guess it only turns on during page reload and rendering?)
Whenever Wi-Fi is on, the LED will be also on.

For your use case, you'll have to keep the device connected via the cable, I believe.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
web browser