Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #1
Scoob
Scoob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage and Kindle Keyboard
Question Symmetrical button design

Other than the early Kindles, Voyage and BN Nooks does anyone know of another device with same button layout?
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Pocketbooks, most of them have their buttons on the bottom bezel, though (at least as far as I know)
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #3
Scoob

Pocketbook is a contender. I've never seen one in person but all the vids and reviews I've seen are positive. I greatly appreciate that they haven't left behind incorporating buttons.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would say you shouldn't rule out buttonless ereaders. Up until I got the elipsa I always got ereaders with buttons. But the elipsa showed me that being buttonless isn't bad.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I would say you shouldn't rule out buttonless ereaders. Up until I got the elipsa I always got ereaders with buttons. But the elipsa showed me that being buttonless isn't bad.
Well, I have a different experience - I once bought a buttonless ereader, thinking I could get by without buttons. I was wrong. I couldn't get used to it and didn't want to read on it; eventually I sold it and went back to buttoned devices.
Advert
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #6
Scoob

Quote:
I used a PW 3 for a few months. I did like it and it was a great introduction to e readers and Kindle ecosystem. I prefer the bigger side bezels as thats what's more comfortable for me to hold onto. I would hold the PW 3 like a phone and balance the bottom edge on my pinkie. After a a while my pinkies get sore.
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I have a different experience - I once bought a buttonless ereader, thinking I could get by without buttons. I was wrong. I couldn't get used to it and didn't want to read on it; eventually I sold it and went back to buttoned devices.
I've tried a few readers with buttons (Sony's, Nook, Kobo), and unless I have to use the buttons, I use touch. The buttons locations usually don't work for me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
I used a PW 3 for a few months. I did like it and it was a great introduction to e readers and Kindle ecosystem. I prefer the bigger side bezels as thats what's more comfortable for me to hold onto. I would hold the PW 3 like a phone and balance the bottom edge on my pinkie. After a a while my pinkies get sore.

I agree about the bigger side bezel. I have a Pocketbook with the buttons at the bottom and for me that is the worst placement and the lack of a large side bezel makes it even worse. The elipsa has a larger side bezel on one side.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I agree about the bigger side bezel. I have a Pocketbook with the buttons at the bottom and for me that is the worst placement and the lack of a large side bezel makes it even worse. The elipsa has a larger side bezel on one side.
The Sony Reader PRS-T1 had the buttons on the bottom (just under the screen) and was a terrible place for the buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Other than the early Kindles, Voyage and BN Nooks does anyone know of another device with same button layout?
nook is an interesting disaster. The hardware was not bad, but the software is atrocious with partitioned storage and in the latest firmware, no more hyphenation. Also, there's no eBook management. It's just awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #11
Scoob

I found something. Has anyone ever heard of a ereader called InkBook Calypso Plus? It's a .eu website with the company HQ in Poland. Manufacturing is in Poland too so not just another Chinese product.
Old Today, 03:57 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I found something. Has anyone ever heard of a ereader called InkBook Calypso Plus? It's a .eu website with the company HQ in Poland. Manufacturing is in Poland too so not just another Chinese product.
Yes, it's sold here too, but I've never seen one in person. From what I've read, it's Android based and the software is not all that impressive, but it does what it's supposed to do, namely let you read ebooks.
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #13
Scoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, it's sold here too, but I've never seen one in person. From what I've read, it's Android based and the software is not all that impressive, but it does what it's supposed to do, namely let you read ebooks.

At the end of the day that's what I want in a ereader. I don't need much in bells and whistles. I didn't see if they shipped to US but the site didn't say I couldn't buy it either and they take paypal.