Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 10-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
starbuckk
Enthusiast
starbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheese

bloglines.com

Seems that some of my iSilo pages are moving to RSS format and dumping their mobile friendly pages...techbargains.com is one of them.

So, now its time to look into getting RSS. But I'd really like to integrate it into iSilo, rather than having to run yet another web clipping or similar service. I looked at bloglines.com thinking it might be a good option, since they have a mobile edition. The only problem is, on their mobile edition, when you select one of your subscriptions, there is a FORM button which must be pushed in order to get the actual data from the feed. So I'm not sure how to incorporate this into iSiloZ, or if it is even possible.

Any ideas how I might do this, or a better solution?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Interesting, I've never thought about Bloglines. Basically, you have to do the following to get around the form with iSiloX:

Set a cookie with the following information:

Name: BloglinesMobile
Value: 1
Domain/Path: bloglines.com/
Expires: Never

Make sure that "Send" and "Receive Cookies" are both enabled (checked).

Then use the following url as the channel url:

http://www.bloglines.com/login?r=%2Fmyblogs_subs&email=<emailname>%40<email address>&password=<pass>&Sign+In=Log+In

whereas for your login information

<emailname> is the part before your email
<emailaddress> the part after it
(i.e. emailname@emailaddress)

<pass> your password

This should get you on the mobile main page. The PROBLEM with using any kind of offline browser is that if you are not careful, it could UNSUBSCRIBE you from all your feeds. You would have to exclude certain links from iSiloX, such as http://www.bloglines.com/myblogs_subs?removesub. But there are also other problems; for instance, there are links that would mark all your already read feed items as unread again if iSiloX parses them.

So be careful with using an offline browser for Bloglines. I am currently working on a system that should allow you to automatically convert RSS content to mobile content. In the meantime, I suggest you try a similar service that already exists: http://www.mobilerss.net
Advert
Old 10-29-2004, 01:19 AM   #3
starbuckk
Enthusiast
starbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheesestarbuckk can extract oil from cheese

Well mobilerss.net looks good, but techbargains.com's RSS feed is garbage. You get all the items but not the sources. Clicking on the entry takes you to the mobile unfriendly main page, which is the only way to see where the bargain item is. Bummer. Way inferior to the old mobile page.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Well I don't see how Bloglines would be any better in that regard. Actually without manual work you won't be able to get from RSS feed items automatically to printer-friendly pages. Perhaps you should give Sunrise a look, which allows you to convert links on the fly plus it has native RSS support.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
starbuckk
Enthusiast

Yes, Bloglines has the same issue. Its a problem with Techbargains.com. They've taken a step away from effective mobile support by doing this. I sent them a feedback email but I find such feedback to most larger web sites tend to fall on deaf ears.

With MobileRSS, I was able to get as far as the headers by setting a link depth to 2. But to get the detail, you have to turn on Follow Offsite Links. The feed then becomes over 3mb and takes forever to build. Some of that could probably be reduced by turning off images and filtering the ad sites but I haven't gone that far in experimenting yet.

If I come up with a good solution, I'll be sure to post it here.
Advert