Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
1TB drive. I feel like a God

Puny 300 GB Drives Shrivel In terror from my new Behemoth 1TB Drive

drives have been full for so long. I am so Happy!
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What on Earth do you have to fill up a 1TB drive with, as a matter of interest? My 20,000+ volume eBook collection only uses up about 15GB . Are you into digital video, or something like that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
You feel like a God? I have two 500GB external drives (=1TB), and I have 3GB free in one and about 20GB in the other. I should buy a new one.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What on Earth do you have to fill up a 1TB drive with, as a matter of interest? My 20,000+ volume eBook collection only uses up about 15GB . Are you into digital video, or something like that?

As a former girlfriend of mine woudl have said, you can never have too much RAM, too many cycles, or too big of DASD...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I don't know about AndyBaby, but my two 250GB drives are likely, within the next 6-12 months, to be upgraded to TB drives, especially with a potential camera upgrade, not to mention the ongoing film scanning. RAW camera files and TIFF scans take up a lot of space.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only reason I ask, Ralph, is that I too have 1TB of disk space in the form of two 500GB disks on my PC, and after two years, I still have over 750GB free on it .
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I feel so inadequate! My new computer *only* has 200 Gb.

Congrats, Andy, and Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well I fell proud as I currently have two 1tb,1 500gb, 1 400gb drives with about 300 gb free on them.

As for what to use the space pot, to answer Harry T's question is media.

I have nearly my entire DVD collection (over 150 discs) ripped to one of them , some as MPG4 files others as ISO's ( the one's with the intersting extras) so I can have access to my entire collection easily without having so worry about managing discs, and be able to easily transfer the files to a media player. That takes up about 700GB.

Then I have all my Cd's ripped as mp3s at 320kbps for future proofing. This includes music, audiobooks, lectures, intersting podcasts, religious discorses, etc. This comes to around 100gb which is backed up on all the drives for safety and redunduncy.

The same with my photo archive with about 6 years worth of photos, many in RAW format which comes to about 100gb agan backed up on multiple drives and multiple Dvd's for safety and residency.

This is just some of the ways in which space even on TB Drives can get used up. Infact I'm planning on getting a couple of more drives in the near future to back up everything offsite.

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 02-07-2009 at 11:01 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The DVD collection would certainly explain it! My largest item is my "iTunes" library, which is currently about 120GB. Like you, I rip everything at 320kbits - at that bit rate, even when I play it back through my rather good stereo system I can't hear any difference from the original CD.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The DVD collection would certainly explain it!
Any media collections explains the need. And as you probably knew before you asked the question most peoples media collection is mostly downloaded from the net in ways you do not agree with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
The DVD collection would certainly explain it! My largest item is my "iTunes" library, which is currently about 120GB. Like you, I rip everything at 320kbits - at that bit rate, even when I play it back through my rather good stereo system I can't hear any difference from the original CD.
It does, especially as I often have 2 versions of many movies, A Full maximum quality version, and alover quality version for Portable devices as most can't support full res DVD movies.

I prefer this solution, as I travel quiet frequently,for a couple of months at atime, so having all my Mewd available on a single drive for easy access is a godsent, As I've lost too many CD's and DVD in the past which got banged up in the luggage, not to mention the problems, having a hundred or so discs can cause at customs in many place, who may be worried about you reselling the stuff.

I also tend to back up all my Driver Disc's, Application Installers, etc as ISO's on the drive so if I ever have to reinstall everything from scratch when I'm travelling, i don't have to wonder whether or not I have the install disc with me.

Another reason is redundency. With dives getting larger and large, I worry about losing most of my data if one drive were to go bad, so I've slowly started to get Matched pairs, and keep data synced over them, to minimise risks, as i've lost more then one drive in the past, losing data.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Another reason is redundency. With dives getting larger and large, I worry about losing most of my data if one drive were to go bad, so I've slowly started to get Matched pairs, and keep data synced over them, to minimise risks, as i've lost more then one drive in the past, losing data.
I keep everything backed up on an external USB hard disk. That has the benefit that I can keep it physically secure "just in case" my house get burgled, or something horrendous like that. I had a rather "painful" disk crash some years ago. Never again!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
The only reason I ask, Ralph, is that I too have 1TB of disk space in the form of two 500GB disks on my PC, and after two years, I still have over 750GB free on it .

I keep my music on-line, stored in full-quality wav files. I keep various family videos, bunged down in vob files, as well. (I started doing home videos in 1984). Then there are all the photo's over 50 years from my brother. Backups of this and that, like my e-book library. There're lots of ways to burn space....

If one were to back up DVD's it would take 7-8 TB's per 1,000 or so.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 02-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay, now someone tell me what the "T" stands for.

So the 4GB laptop I"m so proud of is a wimp?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

T = Terabyte = a thousand GB = a million MB.

I suspect your "4GB" is the amount of RAM, not the size of the hard disk . We're talking about disk sizes here.