Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 12:57 AM   #1
beespeckled
Groupie
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
The time has come to replace my Aura One

It will no longer charge with any of the USB cords I have.
I initially thought that maybe a new charging cord/cable would maybe solve, but I have the Kindle Oasis 3 that charges fine with the same USB's that the beloved One will not, so it must be the One's port that is the problem.

In doing a search, several threads popped up with the same or similar prob.

I've had it since Sept 2016 sigh.

I've been reading on the Kindle Oasis 3 (purchased because I had Amazon gift cards during shutdown and the ease of using for ARC's) Also used it for getting books from another library system so I wouldn't have to sign in and out of the ONE between library systems. Amazon has made many improvements on the initial software on the 3 since my initial purchase, but there are still things that irritate me.

I exclusively use OD/Libby from library. I only purchase books when I need them for book discussion group when no copies from the library will be available to read in time for book discussion or if it is an author I really enjoy and am not patient enough to wait in the library holds queue.

The conundrum is that nothing seems to really compare to what I have had with the Aura One.

Briefly intrigued with the new Colour models, the Libra Colour form factor would be pretty much the same as the Oasis 3 but the advantage would be the wonderful OD/library integration that I enjoy with the One. Then I read about the battery life and higher percentage of light usage. (the Oasis 3 light set to 6-12% in darker rooms during daylight compared to only 2-4% on the One in same conditions, so One battery life was better than the Oasis)

I like reading on the 7.8"One so I've been leaning towards the 8" Sage, but OUCH! on that price & then to read battery life isn't so great.

Sorry if this has turned into a "woe is me" posting.

Last edited by beespeckled; Today at 01:28 AM. Reason: percentage of light use correction
beespeckled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You are correct that there are no direct replacements for the Aura One. You could try to get a Libra 2, but prices are going up now that it's been discontinued. You might consider just buying a replacement Aura One on eBay if you're happy with that particular model, or you could try to replace the charging port.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:45 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I loved my Aura One. My daughter loved hers, too, but that dang USB port issue got both of us after a few years. You got a nice run out of yours!

As a former Aura One LE owner, I can tell you that the Libra Colour is a nice device and mostly fills the gap left by the Aura One LE . I love having the color aspect for the book covers.

The stats are not exactly match for match, but the LC is a close approximation. The Aura One had a 7.8” screen and the LC has a 7” screen. The LC has 32GB of storage just like the Aura One LE. The Aura One had 1,872×1,404 resolution and a 300-pixels per inch display. NGL, the LC only has 1264x1680 resolution, with 300 PPI for black-and-white content and 150 PPI for color content. That is the main stat you’ll feel compares poorly. But the faster CPU and modern specs will please you. Also, I don’t mind the reduced DPI for color content. It hasn’t bothered me when reading. Many people in these forums agree.

I also own an iPad, so one might wonder why I would need a colored eReader. That’s a simple question to answer: I like to read late at night and Kobo eReaders get nice and dark. My iPad on the other hand, even with reducing the white balance, is still too bright for bedtime reading. With late night reading, ample room for manga, colored covers, and a fast CPU, the LC has become my most favorite Kobo since I last used an Aura One LE.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You are correct that there are no direct replacements for the Aura One. You could try to get a Libra 2, but prices are going up now that it's been discontinued. You might consider just buying a replacement Aura One on eBay if you're happy with that particular model, or you could try to replace the charging port.
The Libra 2 is pretty much gone. So I think that idea is out. Basically, there is no Kobo I can actually recommend as a replacement for the Aura One.

I know this may not be what the OP wants, but I'm suggesting going for a Pocketbook InkPad 4 as it's the same size as the Aura One and it's not color.

Picketbook InkPad 4 at Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2QM93N5
Cover for Pocketbook InkPad 4 at Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com//dp/B0C2VFT552

Last edited by JSWolf; Today at 06:31 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kobo Sage is fine, but 8″ screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I loved my Aura One (which still works) but have switched happily to the Kobo Forma.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Why did you switch?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #8
beespeckled
Groupie
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

No other E-ink readers offer Overdrive integration. I don't even have ADE on the laptop since getting the Aura One 2016.
It may be worth it to see if there is a sale during Labor Day weekend.

P.S. i'll take a look at the pocket book Inkpad - if it allows the Libby app and is Eink, it might work.

Last edited by beespeckled; Today at 01:36 PM. Reason: additional response
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #9
beespeckled
Groupie

Cootey, Thanks for your perspective.
If there happens to be a Kobo Labor Day sale it will spur me to purchase.
I noticed they are also offered on Amazon by a company called Bluproton? looks like they ship quickly/shipped by A. Kind of mixed reviews on experience though, some said they got obviously used e-readers, others reported no problems.

Bday Amazon gift cards might make this a good option.
I'll report back if I make a decision.
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Aura One (still working, but sometimes does some janky things), Forma, and Sage owner here.

I love the Sage! It has been the best of all reader devices I've owned and I've owned quite a few, from various brands.

It does go on sale (usually $30 off) from time to time, perhaps that would make it more inline with OP's budget. If it were me, I'd use the Kindle meanwhile (I have an Oasis 2) and watch for a sale on Sage. Yes, the battery life is a bit shorter, but it's not been a problem.

EDIT: FWIW, my Sage was purchased in 2021 from Amazon via Blue Proton, and no issues. I recently bought a spare sleepcover for it, as the original cover is showing some wear, again from Amazon/Blue Proton, no problem.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #11
ixtis
ixtis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara hd
I own a Kobo Aura One, Clara HD, Libre 2... but the pleasure that Aura One gave me, is immeasurable.
Too bad Kobo didn't release a successor...
ixtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kobo Sage is fine, but 8″ screen.
It's not fine. The battery life is trash.
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
No other E-ink readers offer Overdrive integration. I don't even have ADE on the laptop since getting the Aura One 2016.
It may be worth it to see if there is a sale during Labor Day weekend.

P.S. i'll take a look at the pocket book Inkpad - if it allows the Libby app and is Eink, it might work.
Pocketbook does allow you to download the .scsm file and it will then download the eBook. I suggest you ask about this in the Pocketbook forum.