Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Best ereader for OPDS support

We currently use Nook Simple Touch running FBReader. We can then use FBReader to search and download books on our OPDS server (Caliber and COPS). And we use ColorDict for dictionary.

This has been working great for years, but we'd like to upgrade the Nooks to something which also has lighting, to make it easier to read at night.

Do any of the latest ereaders support OPDS out of the box?

Or do we need to go down the route of sideloading a third party app? If so what combination is recommended?

Cheers,
EF
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Pocketbook might be worth considering. While the eReader doesn't connect to OPDS, the iOS and Android apps do. You can add the book to Pocketbook Cloud, and it will be available on the Pocketbook eReader.

It's also easy to install KOReader, which has calibre client.

In theory someone could create a standalone OPDS client app for Pocketbook, but I don't know if anyone has.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Any android reader (onyx, likebook) with monreader, alreader or koreader. Also Kobo with koreader will be fine.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
jmanko16
jmanko16 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad
I have been trying to use the pocketbook iOS app. I have had such a horrible experience with syncing between iOS and iPad. I can't even get the pocketbook cloud to upload (get error messages). Dropbox does work to sync books, but it doesn't update highlights, reading position, or bookmarks reliably. Also the app kicks me out and closes randomly. I really like the app, and honestly if the app was more stable and consistently synced I would buy a pocketbook era to replace my kindle PW.
jmanko16 is offline   Reply With Quote