Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 08:57 AM   #1
maakies
maakies began at the beginning.

Device: Scribe, Voyage & iPad Mini
Any way to block OTA updates in the hope for future jailbreak?

So, I have a Scribe and I'm on 5.16.9, well past jailbreak as an option. Would like to be able to jailbreak in the future as I despise the home page. Used KOReader on my Voyage which would be much better.

I use sendtokindle, so indefinite airplane mode isn't an option.

Thank you for your time.
maakies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Fill out device storage with junk data and leave only ~100 MB of free space? So it doesn't have enough space to completely download firmware update bin file.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #3
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Fill out device storage with junk data and leave only ~100 MB of free space? So it doesn't have enough space to completely download firmware update bin file.
I'm in the same situation as maakies, and while looking for an easy way to achieve this in Windows I stumbled upon this method; I'm posting it here in the odd chance it might be helpful to someone else.

In a nutshell, I used the command below to create 64GB's worth of 10MB files, copied them over to my Scribe (in a new folder) until there was less than 10MB left, and then deleted the last 10 files copied to the Scribe to free up around 100MB.

Code:
For /L %i in (1,1,6554) do fsutil file createnew D%i.tmp 10485760
This way I can control the available space by deleting files in 10MB increments as I download more books onto the Scribe in the future.

It's obviously overkill to create the full 64GB as the OS and existing books already take space, but the creation of the files is very fast and I wasn't in the mood to compute
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #4
maakies

thank you both for the suggestions. is there another way where I'm not filling up the hard drive?

Maybe my hard disk knowledge is from 20 years ago, but aren't we supposed to keep 10% or thereabouts empty? Or did that change with SSDs (which I presume is inside the Scribe)?
Old Today, 04:05 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maakies View Post
thank you both for the suggestions. is there another way where I'm not filling up the hard drive?

Maybe my hard disk knowledge is from 20 years ago, but aren't we supposed to keep 10% or thereabouts empty? Or did that change with SSDs (which I presume is inside the Scribe)?
Not without jailbreaking the device.

The recommendation was, AFAIR, to allow for defragmenting the hard drive. Defragmenting is not an option on an SSD since they have a limited write life. Most SSD implementations these days do some form of wear levelling to extend the life of the the SSD.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:28 PM   #6
maakies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not without jailbreaking the device.

The recommendation was, AFAIR, to allow for defragmenting the hard drive. Defragmenting is not an option on an SSD since they have a limited write life. Most SSD implementations these days do some form of wear levelling to extend the life of the the SSD.
Thank you so much. That makes sense.
Old Today, 04:44 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Defragmenting SSDs is useless. The reason you need to defragment HDDs is that there are moving parts that can access data faster and more efficiently when it's stored contiguously. SSDs have no moving parts, so there is no performance penalty associated with fragmentation.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Defragmenting SSDs is useless. The reason you need to defragment HDDs is that there are moving parts that can access data faster and more efficiently when it's stored contiguously. SSDs have no moving parts, so there is no performance penalty associated with fragmentation.
And as mentioned, SSDs have a limited write life so defragmenting would give no performance increase and would reduce the usuable life.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote