Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
tkil44
tkil44 began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
AZW3 to EPUB Conversion in Calibre Not Working

Trying to convert a .azw3 ebook to .epub format. Let Calibre run for over 24 hours and it still said "working". Do I continue to let it run or what? I've tried converting it to .pdf and .mobi with similar results. I'd be happy with a .pdf although .epub would be ideal. This is the only book that I've had a issue converting in Calibre. Please help!
tkil44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Seems to be a big one. I have one book that took nearly 70 hours for conversion. Sure it is azw3 and not mobi?
Normally you don't need to convert azw3 to epub. Use the plugin KindleUnpack.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A normal AZW3 to EPUB happens pretty quick
Did you have Heuristics ON or some other setting that require rescaling the book (image size or Text size)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
tkil44

It is definitely an AZW3 and its 15mb in size which I don't think is too big. I actually converted another AZW3 book and it worked fine, although not as big. I'll try the kindleunpack and see if that works. I want to view the book in iBooks.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkil44 View Post
Trying to convert a .azw3 ebook to .epub format. Let Calibre run for over 24 hours and it still said "working". Do I continue to let it run or what? I've tried converting it to .pdf and .mobi with similar results. I'd be happy with a .pdf although .epub would be ideal. This is the only book that I've had a issue converting in Calibre. Please help!
There is a much much better way to do this. The way to do this is to install the KindleUnpack plugin and format shift from KF8 to ePub. Then load the ePub in the eBook Editor, validate it, fix any errors and you are good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The time it takes to convert a book is not dependent on the filesize as much as it is the internal markup complexity. Books with very complex markup have been known to take 48 hours or so to convert.

All you can do is make sure the computer has lots of RAM, and wait.
Or use KindleUnpack which doesn't convert, it merely unpacks the book and adds an EPUB manifest which is a lot less work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The time it takes to convert a book is not dependent on the filesize as much as it is the internal markup complexity. Books with very complex markup have been known to take 48 hours or so to convert.

All you can do is make sure the computer has lots of RAM, and wait.
Or use KindleUnpack which doesn't convert, it merely unpacks the book and adds an EPUB manifest which is a lot less work.
But after you use KindleUnpack, you have to validate as there will be errors that need to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
tkil44

JSWolf, I converted it using KindleUnpack but how do I verify it? The formatting is messed up and I'm assuming the validation will fix this?!?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
JSWolf, I converted it using KindleUnpack but how do I verify it? The formatting is messed up and I'm assuming the validation will fix this?!?
Validation just enumerates the (HTML or CSS syntax) errors.
Calibre-editor has a very nice Validation for the HTML files and suggests possible fixes

Stylistic format errors indicate a possible bad CSS
Note: Calibre and Sigil Viewers both tolerate errors. Always do a final LOOK-SEE on the target device.

The CSS needs to be validated separately at W3C (or using the tools they provide)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
tkil44

I ran check book in Calibre and have a lot of CSS errors. I don't know what you mean by CSS needs to be validated separately at W3C. Sorry, I'm very new to this. I'm trying to read the book on an iPad.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
tkil44

Also, could you give me the steps on how to validate within Calibre?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Also, could you give me the steps on how to validate within Calibre?
Checkbook is Calibres XHTML validate

I don't know how to validate the CSS from inside the editor

I use U(npack) and paste it into W3cs webpage validator ( I just usually use Sigil for that step. )
Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
tkil44

W3c website said the document cannot be checked. I've tried other online validation sites and I keep getting errors. CSS seems to be the common error. Is there someone I could send the book to and have them fix it for me?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
W3c website said the document cannot be checked. I've tried other online validation sites and I keep getting errors. CSS seems to be the common error. Is there someone I could send the book to and have them fix it for me?
What did you send to W3c?

You can only send a CSS, not the book.
And What way you send depends on the tool (paste, file)

If it is corrupt, go back to where you purchased it.
MR does not allow passing around copyrighted material
DO NOT post the book
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
tkil44

I sent the book and used file. Where do I find the CCS? The document is not corrupt.