Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Today, 09:24 AM   #1
imax
imax began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & PocketBook 360°
Patch for unlocking builtin Dropbox/Google Drive support

I've sent a pull request to kobopatch repo a few days ago (https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/pull/139).

Firmware has a hardcoded list of device models on which these features are enabled. The patch simply changes device model checks to always return "true", effectively enabling them on any device.

I've applied this to my Kobo Libra 2 and Google Drive sync works perfectly well.

Initially I was setting out to find a way to enable them via some simple config changes, but, sadly, it turned out that libnickel simply does
Code:
return this->isFrost() || this->isEuropa();
🫠

If you happen to know of a less intrusive way to achieve the same without patching libnickel.so after every update - please do let me know!
imax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imax View Post
I've sent a pull request to kobopatch repo a few days ago (https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/pull/139).

Firmware has a hardcoded list of device models on which these features are enabled. The patch simply changes device model checks to always return "true", effectively enabling them on any device.

I've applied this to my Kobo Libra 2 and Google Drive sync works perfectly well.

Initially I was setting out to find a way to enable them via some simple config changes, but, sadly, it turned out that libnickel simply does
Code:
return this->isFrost() || this->isEuropa();
🫠

If you happen to know of a less intrusive way to achieve the same without patching libnickel.so after every update - please do let me know!
Where is the actual patch?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #3
imax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where is the actual patch?
In the pull request, in the "Files changed" tab. Just in case, also attaching it here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cloud_sync.yaml.txt (1.2 KB, 7 views)
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I will admit this is a patch I'm not really in favour of; it's adding functionality that is intended for new devices to older ones.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 PM   #5
imax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit this is a patch I'm not really in favour of; it's adding functionality that is intended for new devices to older ones.
My point of view is that the code is already there (and hopefully tested before shipping), the patch simply removes artificial gating of the features to more expensive devices.

I personally prefer having this over third-party scripts for similar results.
Advert
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I seem to remember hearing from Kobo devs that one issue was memory usage; that older devices did not have sufficient RAM for this function to be reliable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #7
imax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to remember hearing from Kobo devs that one issue was memory usage; that older devices did not have sufficient RAM for this function to be reliable.
Yeah, it might need a bit of RAM. Some devices Kobo ships this to have 512MB of RAM, so any of their devices having that much memory should be fine.

With 256MB I'd still give it a shot, but would be fully prepared to roll it back if it crashes.
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Nice! Did you use Ghidra to locate the relevant functions that need patching?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch