Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-20-2024, 12:50 PM   #1
namurai21
namurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: MacOS, Kindle
How to import (reassign) annotations from exported "calibre highlights" json file?

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding the method to restore highlights and annotations made in azw format to the converted EPUB format.

The situation is as follows. I carelessly made the annotations on a azw file outside of the Calibre library through the e-book viewer. I have then moved the book to some other directory. Now, the highlights no longer show up when I open the book.

I am aware of the existence of config JSON file (that links the book with absolute path) and have located the config file for that book. I can manually re-write the annotations back into the now converted EPUB version of the book, but I was wondering whether it is somehow possible to programmatically import the annotations back in the book.

I hope I made my query clear.
Any support appreciated.
namurai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 01:44 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
AFAICT, highlights can't be imported in the viewer, only bookmarks. I had wondered that too a while ago.

Welcome to the forum!
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2024, 09:36 AM   #3
namurai21
namurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beautynamurai21 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: MacOS, Kindle
I see. I figured that was the case. Thanks anyways.

And thanks for the kind welcome!
namurai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 09:58 AM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe if this thread gets moved into Calibre main forum or Library Management, folks can offer some alternative solution!
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #5
SaintGenevieve
SaintGenevieve began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
No idea why this person's post wasn't moved and mine (an introduction, plus a brief rundown of my experience with ereaders and an allusion to the reason I made an account here) was. Oh well!
SaintGenevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #6
Comfy.n

Anyway, here's an explanation as to why this isn't possible:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339476
(post #6)

The other day I needed to merge highlights in a rare situation where I was reading in another system location the same book I had already in the library, then I ended up having highlights in two different files.

It would be so much easier if it was possible to copy/paste multiple json nodes at once using a Json editor like this one, however in this case I had to open in a text editor the Json contained in %appdata%\calibre\viewer\annots and manually append the stray highlights I had exported previously.

edit: actually it was a duplicate in my library.

Last edited by Comfy.n; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.