Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2024, 06:20 PM   #1
Freewheelin
Freewheelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Any happy Boox users who formerly used Kobos

Hi all,

I am pretty happy with my Kobo Clara HD. However I subscribe to Readwise and the Readwise-Kobo integration is quite buggy. It would be really cool if I could run the Readwise Reader app on my e-reader, so would be looking at an Android. The sense I’m getting is that Onyx devices are the best? Is there anyone who has made the switch from Kobo devices? What did you think and how have you found it?
Freewheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
The big advantage/disadvantage of the Onyx is that it it Android.
If what you want is stock Kobo or something that ports to Kobo, why not?

I did have a Kobo Aura2, but I can't say I really used it a lot.

I like my Poke5

Last edited by Renate; 06-19-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
I have been using Kobo devices over the past decade (Kobo Glo, Glo HD then Forma).

Recently acquired a Boox Page to evaluate the benefit of Android before eventually purchasing a color device (the benefit of having colors on a device dedicated to reading text books being neglectible for my use).

So yes, Onyx Boox are good devices. Reading my books on Koreader make both Kobo and Boox equivalent to me when it comes to just reading.

However, I'm happy to have my RSS reader available on the Boox, as it is Android.

So yep, good devices, my daughter now has my Kobo and I kept the Boox.

The biggest benefit of Boox being the multi-purpose aspect of Android, that takes full benefit of the internet connectivity.
While on a Kobo, I never really saw the point of having Internet, except from a very rare Kobo account sync.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 01:59 AM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin View Post
Hi all,

I am pretty happy with my Kobo Clara HD. However I subscribe to Readwise and the Readwise-Kobo integration is quite buggy. It would be really cool if I could run the Readwise Reader app on my e-reader, so would be looking at an Android. The sense I’m getting is that Onyx devices are the best? Is there anyone who has made the switch from Kobo devices? What did you think and how have you found it?
In my case, I switched from Kobo to BOOX for several reasons, all just because of preferences, KOBO are IMHO very correct devices at a correct price. However, I would think about whether it is worth switching to a completely different ecosystem just because of Readwise.

I'm from Europe (France), and I'd probably get by with a Tolino-type device if it was all about Android, but the Boox has significantly better battery life than the Tolino and offers significantly more features and settings.

In my case, I switched from Libra 2 to BOOX Leaf 2, partly because of the possibility of installing third-party applications, but also because of the layer protection on the screen, the integrated speaker, the possibility of TTS and listening to Audiobooks through the integrated speaker is just an added bonus.

If it was exclusively about reading, I would stay with KOBO, since there is nothing to complain about and I like how it provides functions for editing the page and setting the font.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 02:55 PM   #5
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverAnghirrim exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Totally agree (and not because I am also french ).

Unless you really need Android related features, Kobo is a very good (and my preferred) brand for just reading books.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert