Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
yuwang
yuwang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx /kobo glo hd/sony t3s
how to unbrick my Kindle?

Hi all,
my kindle dx maybe bricked.
the original version 2.1.1(actually 2.1.1 + ufhack0.1 ), ufhack can be used to translate english into chinese
i use a friend of mine's restore.(he also give rootfs.img to me,but i dont know how to use it.)restore2.5.8-os
then my kindle dx stop at the screen"your kindle is starting up this can take a minute"
then, i use amazon's update_kindle_3.2.1 .it's still stop at the screen....
then, i use my friend's restore....
then, repeat the above action....

now ,my dx is still stop at that screen about three days...
I can enter 'Recovery Mode' by holding 'Home'
This then gives me a screen displaying the following:

"Your Device Is in Reovery Mode.To exit this mode, press the (R 4) key.
If you need to update your Kindle through Recovery Mode, please call Customer Service for rurther assisstance at 1-866-321-8851 or 1-206-266-0927. For UK customers, please call +44(0)800 496-2499."

In this mode I can access the document via USB and transfer files.

I'm worried about it
could someone Show me a way to sovle this problem ? thanks!
yuwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuwang View Post
Hi all,
my kindle dx maybe bricked.
It is bricked.
Quote:
the original version 2.1.1(actually 2.1.1 + ufhack0.1 ), ufhack can be used to translate english into chinese
We have no idea here what that ufhack0.1 is or might have done to your Kindle.

But you should read our site's guidelines about duplicate postings.
Or translate this:
Do not double post.
Quote:
i use a friend of mine's restore.
Your friend is the only one who can support that and its use.
It did not come from this site.
Quote:
(he also give rootfs.img to me,but i dont know how to use it.)restore2.5.8-os
- - - -
Have your friend tell you how to use that rootfs.img
That is your only hope now to un-brick the device.
We can not help you with that, not at this website.

This site prohibits any sharing of copyrighted materials.
Those files contain materials copyrighted by Amazon.
We can not do that here.

Your friend in your own country is the only person who can help you.

Last edited by knc1; 09-21-2015 at 05:01 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
yuwang

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is bricked.

We have no idea here what that ufhack0.1 is or might have done to your Kindle.

But you should read our site's guidelines about duplicate postings.
Or translate this:
Do not double post.

Your friend is the only one who can support that and its use.
It did not come from this site.

Have your friend tell you how to use that rootfs.img
That is your only hope now to un-brick the device.
We can not help you with that, not at this website.

This site prohibits any sharing of copyrighted materials.
Those files contain materials copyrighted by Amazon.
We can not do that here.

Your friend in your own country is the only person who can help you.
sorry,knc1.I did the wrong thing, but I don't know how to express my apologies.
i'm just a Middle school student,my friend is Net friend,he also dont know how to use.i can only rescue myself by this website.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-188316.html

i just see this
"Recently I bricked my DX trying to update my old 2.1.1 firmware to something new. After few unsuccessful attempts to get rootfs.img for my DX (B004) on this forum I decided to go another way:

I downloaded torrent with 3.2.1 firmware hack for 2/DX, extracted rootfs.img and kernel using Kindletools and successfully loaded rootfs using dd. Then I flashed an uimage kernel from the same package (another update*.bin) using uboot console and Ymodem (prg_kernel_serial). After that I successfully started Kindle using bootm command.

So, if somebody has bricked Kindle 2/DX - probably 3.2.1 version is the best option. 3G and web browser works OK. The only problem with 3.2.1 is slow return from sleep mode (sometimes). Since now I don't use sleep at all, switching DX completely off (just holding slider for 5 sec).

PS: you will need a serial console to export MMC0 via USB and flash kernel via Y-Modem."

could u tell me ,which kindletools shoul i need to extracted kernel from 3.2.1 firmware??where could i download it ?? i even dont know its full name.
i think maybe this will help me
thanks a lot
Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi. It seems to me that you misread that other post.
We cannot help you here.
Contact your Net friend.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
yuwang

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hi. It seems to me that you misread that other post.
We cannot help you here.
Contact your Net friend.
thank you for your reply.
i just want to know yifanlu's kindletool.
could u tell me where could i download yifanlu's Kindletools ?
i see someone use yifanlu's Kindletools ,but i dont know its full name.
i cant find it
Advert
Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Current:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
https://github.com/NiLuJe/KindleTool

Previous:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187880
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63225
https://github.com/yifanlu/KindleTool

Last edited by knc1; 09-22-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
yuwang

thank u so much....i have got it...
now i foud a new problem...

"insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal_broads.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/legacy/eink_fb_shim.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module"

i copied a roomfs.img used dd, but it just costs me 5 seconds...

"Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 62 822615 411277 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 822616 891807 34596 83 Linux
/dev/sdb4 891808 8026271 3567232 b W95 FAT32
[root@localhost Desktop]# dd if=/mnt/hgfs/ss/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1024
409624+0 records in
409624+0 records out
419454976 bytes (419 MB) copied, 1.04921 s, 400 MB/s"

is that right?? which step did i wrong??
looking forward for your reply.thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Code:
"insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal_broads.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/legacy/eink_fb_shim.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module"
Check the kernel your running, I seem to recall you posting that you reflashed the kernel.
The kernel version and build version **must** match the modules in the rootfs.img file.
The best thing to do is get a copy of the matching kernel from the source of the rootfs.img file you are using.

= = = =

dd does not work across devices, only on the same device.
so copy the source (if=) to usb storage before trying to copy it.
or
use some type of inter-machine transport (such as netcat) in the pipelined dd commands.

Last edited by knc1; 09-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
yuwang

Smile

Quote:
Code:
"insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/hal/eink_fb_hal_broads.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module
insmod: error inserting  '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/legacy/eink_fb_shim.ko':  -1 Unknown symbol in module"
Check the kernel your running, I seem to recall you posting that you reflashed the kernel.
The kernel version and build version **must** match the modules in the rootfs.img file.
The best thing to do is get a copy of the matching kernel from the source of the rootfs.img file you are using.

= = = =

dd does not work across devices, only on the same device.
so copy the source (if=) to usb storage before trying to copy it.
or
use some type of inter-machine transport (such as netcat) in the pipelined dd commands.
when i see , welcom to kindle! kindle login....
my kindle unbrick....thanks,thanks very very much!
i dont know how to express my thankness, but if u one day come to china ,plz come to rizhao shandong province , a beautiful seaside city
i will take you to have some seafood!
contact me ! email~
Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

If I can talk some company into sending me to a trade fair, that might happen.
But otherwise, it has been more than a half century since I was last there.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
yuwang

Smile

Quote:
If I can talk some company into sending me to a trade fair, that might happen.
But otherwise, it has been more than a half century since I was last there.
There will be a chance.