Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Software and Content for the Iliad

Wellnoe that the Iliad will apparently really start selling (at least to a few of us) rather soon I'd like to collect some ideas for Software and also Content you'd like to see for the Iliad.

My first idea is:
A little program that collects news on the web (let's say from XML feeds) and then puts together a little "newspaper" in HTML or linked PDF format (rather HTML, linked PDF doesn't work yet on the Iliad and I don't like PDf too much anyway) an puts the file on the Desktop (or hwerever you like). This file is then updated in certain intervals and you can simply put it on the Iliad whenever you like and have a free and up-to-date newspaper.
Websites that do this are numerous...like www.netzzeitung.de in germany where you can always get up-to-date news...but only online or via desktop XML viewer.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Another Idea I got today (and this is one I'd love to see realized):

The Iliad uses Wacom Penabled technology as far as I know. If somebody could make an interface driver then we could use the Iliad as a graphics tables for the PC!!! Connect the Iliad by USB and start the app on your Iliad (and load the driver on your PC) and you can start using it just like any Wacom graphics tablet, only that with the Iliad you have the additional direct visual feedback on the Iliad screen. This would make the Iliad even more multi-functional and an interesting tool for artists.
The screen size is about A5 if I remember correctly and that would make it large enough for this purpose (many Wacom tablest are only A5 in size, some even A6).
Advert
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
RibRdb2
RibRdb2 began at the beginning.

I would guess that the wacom tablet in the iLiad only support 16 levels of grey and thus would be much less useful than a $150 usb tablet.
RibRdb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

as far as I know the tablet doesn't support color or grey or anything...that is controlled in photoshop or whatever software you use...or am I wrong?
The penabled standard says it supports 256 grades of pressure, but there is no mention of color or anything...and to my understanding this wouldn't make sense anyway since the wacom tablet (whether iliad penabled or graphire retail tablet) only transmits positional and pressure variables anyway.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
RibRdb2
RibRdb2 began at the beginning.

I meant pressure, not grey. Does penabled support 256 levels? I couldn't find anything that says.
RibRdb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

it does...read here:
http://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/po...NEWSART_186004

it's an official pres release from wacom so I guess it should be OK. It could have changed though...but 256 pressre levels is standard for penabled anyway I think...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

VERY interesting statement fro iRex:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your response. We are looking forward to supply additional applications.

"could it be possible to route the input data that arrives at the WACOM chip out through the USB connector of the Iliad, thus making it possible to use the Iliad as a graphics tablet and a good tool for architects and designers? Of course the screen area is rather small, but as a backup device or for casual use it should be adequate. You'd need a driver for PC/Mac I guess, an adapted driver for Wacom tablets and then you could use it with any software you like (that supports pressure sensitivity, like Photoshop CS).
The additional advantage would be, that in addition to the normal advantages of a wacom tablet, you could also see what you are drawing on the Iliad directly in addition to the picture on your computer screen."

The sketches of the iliad become pictures so you will be able to use them already with other software.
In the very near future (2006) we will offer handwriting recognition software that allows the user to digitize the handwritten text. This software will not rely on OCR but on recording the coordinate strokes and speed of the pen, thus being much more accurate.

The functionality you propose will be considered for our next round development, but it is in principle possible.

"P.S.: Is it true that the SDK was postponed to Q4 2006"

Yes that is correct. We acknowledge this is an issue and will try to catch up with this delay."

Sounds pretty good eh?
It's also good that they resopnede after only a few hours instead of responding not at all the way they were before...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The handwriting recognition is something i was counting on.
Confirmation about the SDK is not so good.

I hope they put the following in the reader. (otherwise we will have to wait for the DSK and write one ourselves):
- dictionary support. (if enabled, just a clic with the pen on a word should give you the translation)
- very good bookmark support and management
- user comments (as text and graphic that overlays on the page if turned on)
- text markings and annotations.
and of course lots more.

And i would like a calendar apllication, that synchronizes with google calendar
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

calender is good, but for me simple paper-like app would be more than enough.
Why don't you email them and ask them about that? We are their "evaluaters" after all...^^
Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
i'll wait, till i have the "sample" in my hands. Then i will make a list of everything, that comes to mind. On thing that bothers me already is the clicking sound, when using th pageflipbar. At least on the vids. Hope its not realy that loud.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I just got notified that the 2.4 software is now availalbe...good news I guess.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I find it strange that nobody commented on the fact that iRex thinks the Graphics Tablet solution I asked about was unproblematic...am I the only one here who finds that idea attractive?
I'm not really interested myself, but my Girlfriend was really fascinated because as a designer she could get very good value for her money if the Iliad was a book reader AND a (at least secondayr, backup) graphics tablet.
Any Designers, artists or architects here?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I find it strange that nobody commented on the fact that iRex thinks the Graphics Tablet solution I asked about was unproblematic...am I the only one here who finds that idea attractive?
I'm not really interested myself, but my Girlfriend was really fascinated because as a designer she could get very good value for her money if the Iliad was a book reader AND a (at least secondayr, backup) graphics tablet.
It's a good idea. Even more so, if you could use it wirelessely to input to a desktop pc (e.g. for classroom use).
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Quote:
It is a good idea, and very 'out of the box' thinking by you! I have always wanted a tablet, but could never really justify it for what I do. If it were possible with the iLiad I would definitely try it out.

I am even more excited about the writing recognition - I have used the digital pen from iomega, but it is terrible at recognizing my terrible writing- maybe the non-OCR technology will be better... I love the idea of bringing the iLiad to meetings for note taking!
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
book reader AND a (at least secondayr, backup) graphics tablet.
In fact we are speaking a Wacom here. This implies you do not neet to touch the screen. You can press the auxiliar button in the pen and emulate aerosol. And a wacom screen can follow the pen even 1 inch above the display.

The second part of your request, to present itself as as USB tablet device, is a bit touchy to go beyond theory. One of my students did it for a PDA with a linux kernel 2.4; the kernel was not prepared to identify the machine towards the USB bus as USB Human Interface Device, because the protocol to send HID "report descriptor" identifiers was not available. We got to implement a more primitive protocol, USB BootMouse, and the modern Windows machines were not happy about it (no problem for us, as we attached the machine to a Linux with usbmouse driver).

It could work with a 2.6 kernel because the people of the Nokia 770 were able to emulate a Bluetooth HID Keyboard, so I guess that the HID report descriptors for Bluetooth are already finished in the 2.6.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote