Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Today, 03:51 PM   #1
frankiesgal
frankiesgal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
endnotes on separate pages - ebook

Hi Folks,

I dropped my Word2021 docx with multiple endnotes (insert>endnote in Word) into Calibre (latest ver), converted to epub. I then dropped it into Kindle Previewer and all endnotes are on separate pages. (see 3 images attached),

Two questions:

1) What should I examine, and in which SW, to determine a fix? I'm comfortable with finding and fixing, and adding, small things in css. I'm better in html. Pretty tech savvy just need general steps.

2) Viewing my endnotes in Calibre, why are the numbers huge, and where can I fix please ? I suppose it doesn't matter too much, since Kindle Previewer, displays them correctly, just curious.

Have spent a number of hours googling an answer, and am at the end of my rope here, so hoping for a resolution.

Thanks much!
Cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre css footnotes view.png
Views:	14
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	210118   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre footnotes view.png
Views:	12
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	210119   Click image for larger version

Name:	KP footnotes view.png
Views:	12
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	210120  
frankiesgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #2
frankiesgal

Yes in the css file I've changed "font size: large" to smaller, in the css file, with no appreciable difference.
Advert
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Fix the styles in MS Word.
Don't use direct formatting ANYWHERE.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #4
frankiesgal

Hi thanks for the reply. I was very diligent in using a proper endnote insert keystroke. Where in my docx file do I look for an issue?
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #5
frankiesgal

Sorry, where in my Word style for 'endnotes' am I examining ? Would it potentially solve the issue if I just reverted to a default style for "footnotes?" Thanks.
Advert
Old Today, 05:17 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
We'd need to see the code for "block_44" and the code for <dl>, <dt> and <dd> in the css. Maybe one of those contains a forced page break.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 PM   #7
frankiesgal

Here you go, thanks. Just tried various supplied default endnote/footnote styles in word, to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	one.png
Views:	6
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	210121   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.png
Views:	4
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	210122  
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is the problem. First image...

dl.footnote {
page-break-after: always;
}

It is forcing a pagebreak. Delete that tag and see if it fixes the problem.

And contributing to that problem is that each footnote/endnote uses its own <dl> tag set. Whereas it would be better to use one <dl> tag for all the endnotes.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:23 PM   #9
frankiesgal

You are marvelous!! Here's where I'm at right now. I changed the dl font size from large to x-small, and replaced the footnote page break from always to avoid. Is that okay?

I'd like the endnote text to be on the same line as the clickable endnote number, for a cleaner view and to reduce pages vs what the attached shows. How might I do that?

Just grinning right now, thank you !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	progress.png
Views:	3
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	210123