Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
the_one
the_one began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo and chess

Hello!

I will get Kobo Glo HD in couple of days and am planning to use it when trekking & traveling. I like to play chess and my understanding is that I have only two options:

1) Downgrade firmware to something like 3.18 and do some modfications to sqlite file explained in some earlier threads. Is that a terrible idea? I guess the firmwares since then have included lots of fixes & other features.

2) Stay in current firmware and install pbchess

Another question is how much playing chess will drain Kobo's battery? I would assume that it's more taxing to battery than reading a book. Not familiar with those chess applications, for example does the computer think while it's your move? (draining battery even more).
the_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Trust me when I say you do not want firmware 3.18.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

PBchess does not work yet. We'll have to wait for an update.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
the_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Trust me when I say you do not want firmware 3.18.
Why not? What are the disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
PBchess does not work yet. We'll have to wait for an update.
Oh, didn't know that. What's the last version of firmware which pbchess works with? Is there any status when it will work again?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one View Post

Oh, didn't know that. What's the last version of firmware which pbchess works with? Is there any status when it will work again?
It worked on 4.2.8432. With the latest, launcher doesn't work. I haven't seen any OTA yet.
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
It worked on 4.2.8432. With the latest, launcher doesn't work. I haven't seen any OTA yet.
For me it is working on 4.3.8842. I start it from KSM though.
Edit: If you are starting it via fmon, did you reinstall the KoboRoot.tgz in order to make it work?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
For me it is working on 4.3.8842. I start it from KSM though.
Edit: If you are starting it via fmon, did you reinstall the KoboRoot.tgz in order to make it work?
I'm starting it via pbchess own launcher. Yes, I did reinstall the KoboRoot.tgz twice.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I'm starting it via pbchess own launcher. Yes, I did reinstall the KoboRoot.tgz twice.
And does the launcher work? If not, what is happening? Is it unresponsive? Is the screen distorted? Does it not appear at all?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
And does the launcher work? If not, what is happening? Is it unresponsive? Is the screen distorted? Does it not appear at all?
It doesn't appear at all. It uses an image, launcher.png, as launcher. Not sure how it works.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one View Post
The main disadvantage is that 3.18 was not out all that long before 3.19 came along so add-ons/hacks have not really been tested or developed for 3.18. What you want if you do not want to try 4.3.8842 is 3.19.5761. That's the one that's been out for a long time and has had the most time to get add-ons and/or hacks to work with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
I just installed PBChess (vpbchess_2017.02.02) and KOReader (koreader-kobo-arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-845-g6b5b426)
) With fmon. CoolReader and KOReader work perfectly. See the koreader changes needed here.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I just installed PBChess (vpbchess_2017.02.02) and KOReader (koreader-kobo-arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-845-g6b5b426)
) With fmon. CoolReader and KOReader work perfectly. See the koreader changes needed here.
Thanks. I will try again tonight.

Yeah it's working fine. I must have missed a step somewhere.

Last edited by Nemo1984; 02-23-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
the_one

I got pbchess to work fine in 4.3.8842 so it's all good. Registered it and now just waiting for the license key. I also found the answer to battery usage from earlier thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
It depends on level.

1. It supplies like any other book reader while solving chess puzzles (because chess engine is not working).
2. If you play on level 3-5 (average) about 1 hour/day + reading then the battery should work no less than 1.5 - 2 weeks (because chess engine is working only 0.5-1 seconds per move).
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

While we'te here, any file formats that Cookreader or Koreader do that the native Kobo doesn't?