Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Enjoying YA Books

I happened upon "The Stone Girl" a YA horror type of novel, and I can't freakin put it down!

The last couple YA books I've read have just seemed to grab ahold and keep the pace, not bogging down with un-important details and letting the imagination do the work!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I happened upon "The Stone Girl" a YA horror type of novel, and I can't freakin put it down!

The last couple YA books I've read have just seemed to grab ahold and keep the pace, not bogging down with un-important details and letting the imagination do the work!
I'll have take a look at that book. I love a lot of YA novels for the same reasons you mentioned.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I read quite a bit of YA fiction and enjoy it. There is quite a bit of good YA fiction out there, especially in the SF/F area. I do tend to buy more YA fiction as audio books than as ebooks though. It's great for listening in the car to and from work.

Of course, quite a bit of YA titles have crossed over to the adult audience. The Harry Potter books are the most obvious example. Writers such as Mercedes Lackey and Tamora Pierce also have big followings in the adult community.

I do agree that the YA writers that I like tend to focus more on just telling a good story and less on some of the side issues that adult fiction is prone to. Sometimes I think that the difference between YA and adult books by good story tellers is more about which publisher they sale the book to and less about the actual content of the book and age of the characters.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I just ran across an YA book that I wouldn't likely have read before getting an e-reader, as I found it while going through my library's latest e-acquisitions:

Sprout
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I am a big fan of YA fiction. Heck, I'm a big fan of most fiction. Well, a lot of fiction. Most genres.

Thanks for the ideas!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I picked up the other book by the guy who wrote "The Stone Child" that book ended really really well, and while I saw the end coming....I didn't see the real end coming LOL.

Maze Runner is the other series I'l check out soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Manley Peterson
Author of Bloated Goat
Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
If you like funny, light-hearted stories, then you might like my book Bloated Goat. Written for all ages to enjoy.

Bloated Goat for $.99 on Kindle and Nook
Manley Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course you do know there is no such thing as a young adult. You are either a teenager or and adult.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course you do know there is no such thing as a young adult. You are either a teenager or and adult.
What about if you're in denial about being an adult?
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
What about if you're in denial about being an adult?
You are still an adult.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

Only legally. Im still in denial, and will stay that way. Being an adult is no fun! Lol
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Books are like food. Sometimes you want sophisticated tastes in red wine and herbal accents in meat, and other times you want a fast food burger.

I love YA like Harry Potter, the Tiffany books from Terry Pratchett, The Hunger Games series. I am in the middle of a Robert Asprin "Myth" marathon on my Sony reader at the moment. (Balances out the serial killer novel I am listening to on my commute: Rule of Nine). I just gifted my wife with "Virals" the YA book by Kathy Reichs.

No judgement here for reading YA books.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Books are like food. Sometimes you want sophisticated tastes in red wine and herbal accents in meat, and other times you want a fast food burger.

I love YA like Harry Potter, the Tiffany books from Terry Pratchett, The Hunger Games series. I am in the middle of a Robert Asprin "Myth" marathon on my Sony reader at the moment. (Balances out the serial killer novel I am listening to on my commute: Rule of Nine). I just gifted my wife with "Virals" the YA book by Kathy Reichs.

No judgement here for reading YA books.
I keep meaning to get into Pratchett. I hear so many good things...constantly! I loved The Hunger Games too, one of the best books I've read this year. I also agree with your analogy of books to food. YA does a good job of offsetting my non-fiction tastes.

@jhempel24: Exactly!
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I read the Hunger Games Trilogy and loved them. Started on a Friday and by Sunday night I was done. I couldn't put the books down! I wish there were more. I also read "Life as We Knew it" that was pretty good too, although depressing. There are two more in that series that I plan to read next year.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Love "Young Adult" books, although I'll give the latest teenage vampire/werewolf romance trend a wide berth for the moment.

Reading the Dragon Keeper series by Australian writer Carole Wilkinson at the moment. A really good read.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote