Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #1
pypeke
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Libra Color or Boox Go Color 7 or wait for Libra 2E

I read that Libra 2E and Sage 2 are coming before the end of 2024. Has anyone heard what CPUs will be used? I want a fast, new reader so I am willing to wait.

I started with Nook 1st Edition 3G edition, then a Nook Glow Light, then a Nook HD+, so I am tired of slow ereaders. My last Nook died a few months ago, and I have been using a Fire HD 8 tablet from 2017. I can no longer read with it at night because the font is just too small. If I change my current font to the next size larger, it jumps to a huge size with maybe 6-8 sentences on a page. Way too big. I use the background with white font at night, so I think that is the same as Dark Mode.

Requirements: Dark mode, 32 GB storage (or an SD card slot), minimum 1,000 RAM, minimum 2.0 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2,000 mAh battery, 6-8" screen, Carta 1300 or Kaliedo 13, adjustable front light, waterproof or water repellent, Wifi 5.0, 1264 x 1680 resolution.

Undecided: Page turning buttons, color screen, and stylus for note taking.

If the eReader has page turning buttons, can I also swipe the pages? I assume swiping uses slightly more battery, but I prefer buttons.

I found two ereaders that meet my requirements. Libra Colour and Boox Go Color 7.

So, have I missed any ereaders with those specs? Pocketbook ereaders and other Kobos all have smaller CPUs and less RAM.

Does the overlay affect the clarity or readability or crispness of the text?

I am leaning toward Kobo, but I have never tried to do anything with Callibre, and I have tons of NOOK and Amazon books that I have purchased. I don't know how hard it is or how time consuming Callibre will be.

I will look for the 2 articles that suggested new kobo ereaders would be out in late 2024. Nothing was confirmed by the Kobo company, but one article mentioned something about the wifi and bluetooth in one of them. Hope they were correct. Thanks.

Last edited by pypeke; Yesterday at 08:07 PM.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Where did you hear that? I've seen no confirmation that a Libra 3 or Sage 2 is coming. We're all hoping that they will, but it's just hope so far.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Where did you hear that? I've seen no confirmation that a Libra 3 or Sage 2 is coming. We're all hoping that they will, but it's just hope so far.
Kobo really does need a Libra BW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...reader-in-2024
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you giving them clicks?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Why are you giving them clicks?
It was asked where the info about more new Kobo came from and it may have been them.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #7
pypeke

Looks like the two new ones were not Libra 2 and Sage 2. They assumed based on the model numbers.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...reader-in-2024

https://world-of-ereader.com/new-kobo-sage-2024.html

There was one more that mentioned they would not be out until after September, closer to year end, but I cannot find it now.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #8
pypeke

https://world-of-ereader.com/new-kobo-sage-2024.html
This was the second article

the other poster"s link was the first article

there was a third article that said they would not come out until late in the year I cannot find it now
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why point to an item that was about the FCC applications for the Libra Colour. Clara Colour and Clara BW?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote