Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
d.smit
d.smit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Paperwhite 2
How to stop window pop up ?

A small but nagging problem: My os is Linux Mint. Each time calibre has completed some job, its window pops up in front of everything else on my monitor screen. How can I stop this behaviour?
d.smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which jobs?

I don't think there is a system wide setting to suppress job completion notification messages. Some optional plugins have options to suppress them, such as Count Pages and Modify ePub.

I want the notification messages from Bulk Metadata Download, but I suppress the ones from Count Pages and Modify ePub.

I'm on Windows, but I assume MacOS and Linux would be the same. Kovid goes to considerable lengths to make them consistent, which is more than can be said for many x-platform application developers.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR is correct. Consistent is what Kovid does

Preferences: Look and feel: Disable notifications when job is done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Minimize the window or turn on focus stealing prevention in your window manager's settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences: Look and feel: Disable notifications when job is done
that one snuck past me, I guess because I never put calibre in the tray.

I was thinking of notification messages such as this :

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	165542

BR
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
that one snuck past me, I guess because I never put calibre in the tray.

I was thinking of notification messages such as this :

Attachment 165542

BR
Nope, when that is enabled, Calibre is very 'chatty' (and noisy. I sometimes feed my audio to my Surround receiver)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.smit View Post
A small but nagging problem: My os is Linux Mint. Each time calibre has completed some job, its window pops up in front of everything else on my monitor screen. How can I stop this behaviour?
On Mint 19:
Menu > Preferences > Windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-12 22-48-28.png
Views:	80
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	165543

For earlier versions.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nope, when that is enabled, Calibre is very 'chatty' (and noisy. I sometimes feed my audio to my Surround receiver)
Curious - why would anyone want calibre in the tray?

I only use it for applications that enhance Windows or provide service like features - e.g. thesaurus, clipboard manager, snippets etc.

I dislike 'chatty' software.

BR
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Curious - why would anyone want calibre in the tray?

I only use it for applications that enhance Windows or provide service like features - e.g. thesaurus, clipboard manager, snippets etc.

I dislike 'chatty' software.

BR
Some folk must need a Linus Blanket ?
Just look at the possible 'Windows Actions" you can attach sounds to.
I have just a few: "error" (hear that one a lot ), "Input needed (Attention)"
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Most of the time I have the speakers muted - "Speech is silver and silence is golden".
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
d.smit
d.smit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Paperwhite 2
Problem solved with your help.
Thank you all.
'Prevent focus stealing' worked.
Though 'minimize calibre window' did not.
d.smit is offline   Reply With Quote