Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #1
itsamemarkus
itsamemarkus began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question What's the recommended way to "polish" all books?

Hi, I recently noticed that a lot of my technical books (mostly humble bundles) don't have optimised pngs, which means when the ebook extracts the temporary files would be 1GB+ for a 70MB epub file.

For me that's relevant because I self host calibre web and the server has to transfer (and store) all that data when I open a book in a browser.

When you edit a book there is a "compress images losslessly" option, which is what I want and which helps with my problem. But this can only be done for one book at a time as far as I know.

There is also "ebook-polish" command line utility that comes with calibre, which basically does the same, where I could build a script that runs that for every epub and replaces the original file.

I haven't done much with the calibre database or the underlying files, I just read that you probably shouldn't touch the raw files to avoid corruption.

Can someone recommend the best way to batch polish all my epub format books? (most of the books have multiple formats available)
itsamemarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Select all books in the library manager (Ctrl+A), press 'P' and the Polish books dialogue will pop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-25 091326.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	210384

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:54 AM   #3
itsamemarkus
itsamemarkus began at the beginning.

Device: iPad