Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
popklister
popklister began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Update jailbroken PW2 5.3.0 to latest firmware

I had so much help from this forum and want send out a big thank you to everyone!

I´ve got a PW2 that I bought a year ago from a friend in Shanghai. It has the 5.3.0 Firmware and is jailbroken with a guide from this forum.

Now I want to go from my 5.3.0(1774700020) firmware to the latest firmware but keep the jailbreak.

I have read a lot of guids but I cant find one that specifically covers how to update a Kindle thats already jailbroken and probably with old jailbreak tools.

So how should I do this the "right" way. I have no way what PPW2 Version I have or what jailbreak tools I used.

But I will provide all the information from the kindle thats needed!
popklister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Install the latest JB hotfix (it's linked to in both JB threads), and only then run the official update. You'll then, as usual, have to reinstall anything custom.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
popklister
popklister began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Install the latest JB hotfix (it's linked to in both JB threads), and only then run the official update. You'll then, as usual, have to reinstall anything custom.

Thanks for the help, so I just run the hotfix and connect to WIFI and update through amazon?
popklister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by popklister View Post
Thanks for the help, so I just run the hotfix and connect to WIFI and update through amazon?
Kindles without the new security certificates cannot connect directly to amazon, so updating "through amazon" (OTA update) is unlikely to work.

You probably need to download the firmware update(s) from the amazon website to a host PC, put them on your kindle over USB, them install them from "menu/settings/menu/update your kindle".

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-26-2016 at 03:07 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote