Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Service Which Will Let Libraries Give Multiple Simultaneous Access to Ebooks!

Have you ever checked your library for an ebook that you wanted to read, only to find it checked out (and maybe even having a hold placed on it for when the current borrower returns it)? Of course you have, if you've ever tried to borrow an ebook from your library. In fact, you might have had several titles, before, that you were interested in, and all of them were checked out. Of course, that's going to be much more common for newer and/or more popular titles.

I ran across the following webpage for FREADING, a service from a company called "Library Ideas." The thing that stands out to me is the fourth benefit listed, "multiple simultaneous access on all titles!" Translated, I think that that has to mean that more than one person can borrow the same ebook at the same time!

Several years ago, I had heard rumors about this about this kind of thing being available somewhere or about it coming soon, and then I hadn't heard anything more about it. A press release or newsletter or something that this company posted on their website about this dates all the way back to 2011. So, I'm wondering why we haven't heard more about it. Perhaps the cost is too prohibitive for most libraries--and none of them can subscribe to every good idea that comes along--all of the libraries do all have budgets.

Neither one of the two libraries where I have borrowing privileges has the service, unfortunately. It probably will be a long time forthcoming before our local library has it. They have the greatest people there, but it is so woefully underfunded (and our county commissioners repeatedly almost literally throw away money right and left). But, it might be do-able for another library where I have borrowing privileges, just one county away--one county away, but being a world different (for one thing, their library does seem to be well funded, and the county seems to have much more competent leadership than ours).

Anyway, I'm going to contact perhaps both libraries, maybe even tonight, via email, and pass this idea by them. I thought that I would let you know about this service in case you might want to pass the idea by your local library, or other ones where you have borrowing privileges.

The direct link to the FREADING webpage is http://www.libraryideas.com/freading.html.

Oh, yeah, I don't know that this particular service does it, but wouldn't it be great if this concept was extended to audiobooks as well? There might be some company that offers it already, and I'm just not aware of it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-26-2017 at 10:05 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
So, I'm wondering why we haven't heard more about it. Perhaps the cost is too prohibitive for most libraries--and none of them can subscribe to every good idea that comes along--all of the libraries do all have budgets.
Freading has been discussed here quite a bit in some threads. I think the biggest reason you don't see it (or hear about it) more is that a large number of library patrons are looking primarily for content from the Big 5 publishers. IIRC the biggest pubs Freading has been able to get on board are Sourcebooks, Kensington and Houghton Mifflin.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Freading has been discussed here quite a bit in some threads. I think the biggest reason you don't see it (or hear about it) more is that a large number of library patrons are looking primarily for content from the Big 5 publishers. IIRC the biggest pubs Freading has been able to get on board are Sourcebooks, Kensington and Houghton Mifflin.
Okay.

I rarely venture out to other forums/threads. I guess, in retrospect, that I should have done a search. However, there may be other people like me who pretty much stay in this forum who have never heard anything about it.

Thanks for the information about the reason for the slowness of libraries to adopt the service. FREADING (I put in all caps because that's how they have it) claims to have "titles from more than 1,000 publishers." It would seem like with that many, a lot of big publishers would have to be represented, but that's not logically the case. The 1,000 publishers must be primarily the little publishers out there.

The question that arises in my mind is why don't libraries sign up anyway. I believe in the mantra, "always follow the money," to find out the source of a problem. If you are correct, FREADING must be asking too much money for their service, compared to the quality of their offerings.

I guess that the logjam will clear up one of these days.

I'll hold off on emailing the two libraries that I had planned to email.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Oh, yeah, I don't know that this particular service does it, but wouldn't it be great if this concept was extended to audiobooks as well? There might be some company that offers it already, and I'm just not aware of it.
Hoopla provides unlimited access to the ebooks and audiobooks in its library as well; you access then through the Hoopla app after opening an account with your elibrary. The only limitation is a monthly checkout one, set by each participating library. At least a couple of my libraries offer OverDrive, Freading and Hoopla as well as various other digital services.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks for the reminder about Freading; one of my libraries uses this service but I'd forgotten about it as I hadn't been impressed by the offerings back in the day (and it used to use some crazy system involving tokens). Now I see that it offers Open Road titles, and, better yet, I didn't have to fiddle with ADE at all to download a book (unlike Cloud Library, which won't play nice with my ADE).
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hoopla provides unlimited access to the ebooks and audiobooks in its library as well; you access then through the Hoopla app after opening an account with your elibrary. The only limitation is a monthly checkout one, set by each participating library. At least a couple of my libraries offer OverDrive, Freading and Hoopla as well as various other digital services.
Hoopla. Okay. I'm sure that my two libraries don't subscribe to it, but I'll probably try to find their webpage, so I can read up and be in the know about them.

Thanks.