Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Nemesia
Nemesia began at the beginning.

Device: computer (Mac)
To polish an ebook without saving the original

Hi everyone!

I have been using Calibre for years and, though I'm not a fan of the last version, I find it very useful to keep my library organised.

My issue is with the metadatas and covers: I want them to be associated with the epub file itself (to keep everything clean and tidy), so I polish the book. But while doing that, Calibre creates a backup file named "original epub"...

I don't need that because I don't really convert the file from one format to the other: I just consolidate the metadatas into the epub. So is there a preference somewhere to tell the software to drop it? I couldn't find anything...

I know I can manually delete the original epub files, but I'd rather not have them created in the first place.

Or maybe I should use a different feature to consolidate the datas rather than Polish?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nemesia
--------------------
Mac OS 10.15.3
Calibre 4.13.0
Nemesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
there is a preference somewhere. I know because i have it turned OFF.
i doubt I could find it again any faster than you can though.
search the forum e.g. the plug in thread, or ask google ,or carefully look through all preferences...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->tweaks->save original file
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would keep allowing original_epub to to be made. If you make a mistake or something goes wrong, you have a backup. Unless you validate the ePub, something could go wrong as polish is not expecting ePub with errors.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Nemesia
Nemesia began at the beginning.

Device: computer (Mac)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->tweaks->save original file
Thanks, that's what I needed! I would never have found it there.

Thanks also to Stumped and JSWolf for your answers.
Nemesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert