Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Please, need help with Kindle Signature Edition

So I got the new Kindle Signature Edition, but I'm having trouble with 3 settings. I'm pretty tech challenged so please be patient!
Because I've purchased books from various sources, I don't have my Kindle connected to the app/wi-fi etc. I did initially set up from the store just for ease of updating firmware, but then de-registered my device because I side-load using Calibre only [manually on my PC]. I know there's better ways, but it's what I'm used to. LOL

1] Every time I go from the book I'm reading back to my library I get the pop-up message 'cloud not available'. Is there a way to make this go away?

2] Each new book I open, it doesn't save my preferred font, boldness etc. Is there a setting I've not seen that will do this for me across all my books on the device?

3] Page numbering doesn't work. , when I click on the option, it's greyed out [tried 5 random books, works on my old Kindle but not this one]

These are probably user-error, but like I said, I'm tech challenged so any patient help is appreciated.

ETA 3rd problem

Last edited by Blue2u; 08-20-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If you side load books and if you reset your device you will loose all your books and you will have to side load all over again. You are probably getting errors for a kindle is meant for books purchased at amazon even tho they allow sideloading.

Only amazon purchased books are able to be stored to cloud. There is no fix for that error. here is a thought. buy 1 book from amazon. Like a free ebook like a classic. It automatically gets stored on the cloud. I am wondering if that would affect that error.

Last edited by HLS; 08-20-2022 at 09:54 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If you side load books and if you reset your device you will loose all your books and you will have to side load all over again. You are probably getting errors for a kindle is meant for books purchased at amazon even tho they allow sideloading.

Only amazon purchased books are able to be stored to cloud. There is no fix for that error. here is a thought. buy 1 book from amazon. Like a free ebook like a classic. It automatically gets stored on the cloud. I am wondering if that would affect that error.

You're right, but I'm not concerned with re-downloading if needed.
I do appreciate you trying to help, it's very kind of you.

I wasn't concerned with the firmware, so I just started my Kindle with a fresh restart. I figured out a work-around for the page numbering [had to do a new library in Calibre, configured my device, and then added the books, all have page numbers now!]

Unfortunately, the 'cloud not available' is still there, but as I only see it when I'm scrolling through my library, I guess it's not a huge concern.

I'll play with the settings more to see if I can keep them for all books rather than just one book [the font etc.]
Old 08-21-2022, 03:12 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
So I got the new Kindle Signature Edition, but I'm having trouble with 3 settings. I'm pretty tech challenged so please be patient!
Because I've purchased books from various sources, I don't have my Kindle connected to the app/wi-fi etc. I did initially set up from the store just for ease of updating firmware, but then de-registered my device because I side-load using Calibre only [manually on my PC]. I know there's better ways, but it's what I'm used to. LOL

1] Every time I go from the book I'm reading back to my library I get the pop-up message 'cloud not available'. Is there a way to make this go away?

2] Each new book I open, it doesn't save my preferred font, boldness etc. Is there a setting I've not seen that will do this for me across all my books on the device?

3] Page numbering doesn't work. , when I click on the option, it's greyed out [tried 5 random books, works on my old Kindle but not this one]

These are probably user-error, but like I said, I'm tech challenged so any patient help is appreciated.

ETA 3rd problem
Amazon don't care what books you have on your Kindle. And I suspect all three problems would go away if you turned WiFi back on. But let's have a think anyway.

It does occur to me that you say you "don't have your kindle connected" to Wifi. Did you actually turn Wifi off? It's possible that problem 1. is a result of disconnecting from the wifi hub, but not actually turnning wifi off.

For 2 and 3 I wonder how you're sideloading the books. You say with calibre, so I'd expect the books to be in the right place. But perhaps you copy them yourself from a calibre folder?

The page numbering is probably a lack of apnx files, IIRC. Perhaps there's a calibre plug-in that could add those for you?

Personally, I just mail third-party ebooks to my kindle account and download from there....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about the "cloud not available" message, but even if you turn on WiFi, you'll still see the following message when you move side-loaded books into collections.

Content Not Synced
The item you added to this collection was added to this device directly from a computer. Adding it to a collection will not sync the item to the Cloud, so you may not see this item in your other Kindle devices or apps.

I would love a way to turn that off, but haven't found one yet.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon don't care what books you have on your Kindle. And I suspect all three problems would go away if you turned WiFi back on. But let's have a think anyway.

It does occur to me that you say you "don't have your kindle connected" to Wifi. Did you actually turn Wifi off? It's possible that problem 1. is a result of disconnecting from the wifi hub, but not actually turnning wifi off.

For 2 and 3 I wonder how you're sideloading the books. You say with calibre, so I'd expect the books to be in the right place. But perhaps you copy them yourself from a calibre folder?

The page numbering is probably a lack of apnx files, IIRC. Perhaps there's a calibre plug-in that could add those for you?

Personally, I just mail third-party ebooks to my kindle account and download from there....
1)I will double check the wifi settings.
2&3) Creating the new library and starting fresh with configuring device [I did find old notes of mine to ensure the page settings were correct]. Only issue I had was for some reason the first few I sync'd didn't have pages, but any I added I after worked. So just went back and deleted the first few that didn't work and readded them, AFAIK after testing about 30 random books, all had pages!

I didn't know you could email those books and add them to your Kindle account! I'll have to check that out, although I do like the way Calibre let's me sort, tag, and correct series info etc so that may be a moot point!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help. If the only thing I have to put up with is the cloud error I can certainly live with that. The page count is 'necessary' IMO, lol
Old 08-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
I don't know about the "cloud not available" message, but even if you turn on WiFi, you'll still see the following message when you move side-loaded books into collections.

Content Not Synced
The item you added to this collection was added to this device directly from a computer. Adding it to a collection will not sync the item to the Cloud, so you may not see this item in your other Kindle devices or apps.

I would love a way to turn that off, but haven't found one yet.
Glad to know it's not just me, lol. So after your comment I'm not going to stress about it, but if there's a fix I would use that but NBD to me right now, just thought I'd ask [minor annoyance].
Old 08-21-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I didn't know you could email those books and add them to your Kindle account! I'll have to check that out, although I do like the way Calibre let's me sort, tag, and correct series info etc so that may be a moot point!
I use calibre to set metadata, track what I've read, how much each book cost, etc. But I when my next pick to read wasn't bought at Amazon, I just send it to my Kindle account using one of Amazon's "Send To Kindle" apps https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/. It's possible to use email as well.

The big advantage to me of doing this is that books sent to my Amazon account sync the reading position between devices (Voyage, Kindle app on phone).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:01 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't sideload e-books to mine I use the SEND to Kindle APP thru Calibre THEN it gets into the Amazon Cloud!! Anywhere there is a Wi-Fi I can download eBooks.

'cloud not available' Will only go away when the eReader is on WiFi I found no way the turn it off just dismiss it when it pops up

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-31-2022 at 11:08 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I don't sideload e-books to mine I use the SEND to Kindle APP thru Calibre THEN it gets into the Amazon Cloud!! Anywhere there is a Wi-Fi I can download eBooks.

'cloud not available' Will only go away when the eReader is on WiFi I found no way the turn it off just dismiss it when it pops up