Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Updating an ebook

A have an updated version of an ebook I already have in Calibre's database. I'd like to replace the old version with the new one. What would be the best way to do that?

If I add the new version as an alternate format and then remove the old version, would that leave the book with an altered filename in the disk storage?

If I just overwrite the file in the disk, would that leave some "metadata" referring to the old book? (The standard metadata has not changed, but I'm thinking of things like filesize).

Would it maybe be better to remove the old book first (not the whole book entry, just the particular format to replace) and then add the new one?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The way to do it is via the Edit Metadata dialog. That will allow you to both remove the old one and add the new one keeping all the metadata intact.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert